Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

National Forest Star Party ,November 2017.

cotterless45

I had never seen the milkyway until I went to this site like a silvery lace curtain through cygnus and cassiopeia I stood there in amazement for 10mins. Saw the double cluster by eye so I cannot wait get there with the scope clear skies willing. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The skies will speak for themselves, ( thanks for the posts of support !) we're not in the red zone ! There are many acres of dark National Forest . Leicestershire, the next county has streetlight 12-5 switch off .

We could post the next star party on Barra or Exmoor , but this is nearer. I live 4 miles from the campsite and for 17 years have enjoyed the skies of this area, hurrah, Nick.

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

IMG_5238.PNG.b2d0664205df8840b68474093fcfc560.PNGIMG_5237.PNG.fef27e76ec68beca09a8a76049a979bc.PNG

We appreciate you taking the initiative and arranging something Nick. I am really looking forward to it. The skies might not be the best, but neither will they be the worst and certainly better than my back garden. Location is great (for me). See you there for a great weekend. 

14 hours ago, Stu said:

If you are not interested then please do not derail the thread.

Well said Stu.

This year there is a lack of alternative star parties to the usual events and anyone arranging one no matter where it is should be applauded and supported. 

Well done Nick for trying.

Unfortunately as Calvin said earlier we will be in Skye hoping for clear skies which I hope this party delivers.

On 01/10/2017 at 18:06, obrazell said:

Sorry you are telling me this is a good sky

image.thumb.png.8d18ff6a43a25df3e572a7add7955376.png

Nice positive post ? I live in the midlands and we have a great dark sight. It's good to see Nick making the effort ?

I must have booked up half a dozen star camps over the last few years that I couldn't make due to work or illness etc. I was going to try and go to Galloway but jury service on the Friday and Monday is very restrictive. If there are spaces left I will try and make this one to get my fix. Fairly close to me too.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks interesting. We're going to Kelling this Nov as we had site vouchers to use up, but might consider this one another time as it is a lot nearer and will offer better skies than our home site in Coventry.

The skies should be good enough if clear to observe all available Messier objects, and more NGC's than a week of clear nights would allow.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pig said:

Only a couple of days to go ?

I'm going and I'm looking forward to it.  So who else is going to be there then? What equipment are you bringing? 

BTW I'm Steve from Aldridge West Midlands and I'm bringing my 8 inch revelation Dob and Some Helios Apollo 15x70 bins on a p mount. 

On 20/10/2017 at 21:08, SteveWolves said:

Is there a site plan, I can't find one on the website?

There is no plan but I think I might have a map of the camping ground somewhere I will look in morning and post it. There are only about 6/7 going there is plenty of room I would expect we will all be together but mention it when you arrive should put us all together then. 

16 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

There is no plan but I think I might have a map of the camping ground somewhere I will look in morning and post it. There are only about 6/7 going there is plenty of room I would expect we will all be together but mention it when you arrive should put us all together then. 

I've decided to get a pod for this one! Hopefully I won't be too far away from the action! Looking forward to meeting some new astro friends. 

7 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

I've decided to get a pod for this one! Hopefully I won't be too far away from the action! Looking forward to meeting some new astro friends. 

I`m in a pod as well as my son is not coming this time and I cannot set the tent up by myself with my back at the moment.

Archived