Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Ian Kahler

using a spotting scope

Hey everyone,

So last night I came  home from dinner  in the town and  the moon was  just perfect! I do favor looking at the moon as  often as  I can, but last night I decided to test the capabilities of  my Orion spotting scope. The  wife had  bought it for  me  as a  retirement present as  we  have a  view  of  the  cascade mountains from just down the  street.

Well I cannot say I was  disappointed... I mounted my little  scope  one of the  tripods  I use  for  my camera... and  I had a  blast!! I like  being able to zoom in to 48x mag but of  course... my FOV moves "across the  stage" like  an express train!! lol.

nonetheless I was a  different experience than my binoculars.

Ian

• Like 4

That is a lovely report, Ian. Great discoveries will come your way!

Hi Ian and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Your story reminds me of when I started. I had 40mm Tasco Refractor, (40x max and no changeable eyepieces), my father gave to me as a birthday present many years ago. My first target was the Moon, [as one does]; then 'Mizar' & 'Alcor' in Ursa Major; then Saturn, [I could just see the rings]. I would also use the 'scope for solar projection. 

Edited by Philip R