Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Cjg

Comet c/2017 01 Asassn

Tried and failed Friday night and last night, using 6" refractor and the usual assortment of black and green, also had a look for Comet C/2016 R2 (Panstarrs) but it's in a very starry bit of sky so hard to spot, took a few images of the area, not looked at them yet.

Dave

Hiya,

I saw it on Friday night (250PX, 20mm Myriad EP). Quite big, at x60, but very faint. Really just an indistinct smudge.

Kev

• Like 1

c/2017 O1 was not shown on the Heavens-above site, but I was able to locate it on Friday night/Saturday morning after studying https://theskylive.com/

Fortunately it was within a fairly distinctive pattern of dim naked eye stars in Camelopardalis. However, it's really quite diffuse and not particularly easy to see even in my 12" Newt. That 'scope proved to be way out of collimation, so after messing with it for a while I eventually swapped for a 5" refractor. c/2017 O1 was still visible, but did seem rather fainter than the 8.5 mag I was expecting.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

I think it's down to conditions. I tried and failed with my 12" dob last night but with half a moon. Didn't help that for most of session I left the 110mm aperture mask on inadvertently!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I think it's down to conditions. I tried and failed with my 12" dob last night but with half a moon. Didn't help that for most of session I left the 110mm aperture mask on inadvertently!

At least you didn't leave the 35nm HA filter stuck in the diagonal from earlier solar :rolleyes2:

Dave

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

At least you didn't leave the 35nm HA filter stuck in the diagonal from earlier solar :rolleyes2:

Dave

:icon_biggrin:

• Haha 1

Just had another look for Asassn and R2 Panstarrs with no luck, too much mist and Moon, may have a look in the dawn sky for 24P/Schumasse and 62P/Tsuchinshan if I don't bother going to bed :)

Dave