SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

International Astro Show, Stoneleigh: anyone going ?

John

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to it. Can't wait and will be going to the galaxies lecture and AP lecture. Also will keep my tablet with me to check any price reductions are genuine when compared to regular prices so I can defend my spend when I get home laden with boxes and boxes of new shiny scientific instruments (aka toys) . Really want to see the new SW az GTi in use for myself. :icon_biggrin: See you there

On 29/09/2017 at 11:32, John said:

Anyone else thinking of going to this show ?:

http://www.ukastroshow.com/

Hi John,

Sadly I won't be there this year. I went 3 years ago and really enjoyed it. I had a really good chat with Richard Day from Skylight Telescopes..he had a beautiful 6" custom refractor on show.

I also enjoyed seeing John Timmins (Peak2Valley) big frac display, and it was here that I met Mark from Moonraker and germinated my plan to have him chop down my D&G 5" F15 refractor tube so I could use binoviewers without an OCS, and to fit a lovely polished aluminium Moonlite focuser. A real craftsman, Mark is☺.

Ironically, having lived for most of my life within 30 miles of the venue, I now live 130 miles away in Lincolnshire! But I still have family in the Midlands so hope to go next time it's on, and to attend a lecture or two.. is the event annual, or every 2 years?

Looking at the programme, the Proxima B talk sounds good..always been fascinated by our nearest other star?.

Dave

I went today. It was relatively quiet this morning - oh apart from an hour before lunch when two coach load's of school kids descended on the place, rather livening things up! :)  I had a good long discussion with the ATIK people mainly about their new Horizon CMOS camera, which they hope to have for sale in a few weeks after beta testing. Somehow or other I managed to spend a hundred and something quid on two dew heaters, controller, a couple of  Batonov masks, a 2nd hand book from the history of astronomy stand and a guide and calendar from the Astronomy Now stand.  I enjoyed it though. Met a few familiar faces. Some good chats and  some nice stuff on display.  I only attended one talk - the one on dark matter. The speaker was vary good and there were lots of interesting questions afterwards. Enjoy it if you go tomorrow! 

My experience was much the same, and had to wonder how many school kids can have an interest in astronomy :wink2:. Still, one shouldn't knock it, it's important to try to stimulate the youngsters on science matters.

It's the first one I've attended, and it was interesting to see things up close and personal. I too went to the Dark Matter talk, plenty to think about. I find it all a bit weird that there must have been a few other SGLers around, but all anonymous to me!

Ian

9 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

My experience was much the same, and had to wonder how many school kids can have an interest in astronomy :wink2:. Still, one shouldn't knock it, it's important to try to stimulate the youngsters on science matters.

It's the first one I've attended, and it was interesting to see things up close and personal. I too went to the Dark Matter talk, plenty to think about. I find it all a bit weird that there must have been a few other SGLers around, but all anonymous to me!

Ian

Yes, I agree it's good to encourage young people. It just seemed odd that there were so many of them, maybe 70 to 100 in number, and they weren't particularly well behaved, running around between the exhibits and making a lot of noise. It seemed to me they  weren't that interested in the exhibition either. The exhibitors seemed as nonplussed by the whirlwind as the visitors I thought.  Hey ho! 

I got chatting to quite a few people and asked them if they used SGL, but none of them did except one  and I had the feeling he wasn't a member either.

Sort of last minute thing, I also went today.

First time visitor, but been to Astrofest a few times.

Really went to just look at stuff and talk to OO about what I can do to reduce the vignetting on my VX12 so did not book into any of the talks...

I came away happy with a good solution and somewhat poorer, having ordered another scope from them.

I also saw all the school kids running around,  but for me, it was no problem. If it sparks a genuine interest in only a handful, it would be worth it. They looked excited to get out of school for a few hours, for sure and did not really get in the way...

It would be great to be able to recognise other SGLers - maybe we should all make up little badges, or something.

Roll on the Astrofest.

Gordon

51 minutes ago, Bukko said:

It would be great to be able to recognise other SGLers - maybe we should all make up little badges, or something.

I suggested this last year and earlier in this thread. I keep hoping FLO will take the hint and arrange for some SGL badges "proudly sponsored by FLO".   Hint hint hint hint ...... 

just bought tickets for the morrow and also to the lecture on Galaxies. Really looking forward to it, as the nights are creeping in and I've been slowly dropping hints to the wife about some kit thats really nice but just too expensive for now.... (hope its there on sale!!)

I'm going tomorrow and I do look like the pic in my avatar (minus the hat which I'll leave at home !). Feel free to introduce yourself and say "Hi" if you see me :icon_biggrin:

I'll be there from around 11:00 ish I hope.

10 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Almost all set and leaving soon. This will be my first Astro show so will be interesting to see how things work.

It was my first visit and I enjoyed it. I had no particular wish-list, but it was a great opportunity to see things first hand. Most things are a lot bigger in the flesh! I am not sure I would attend regularly, but it would be useful if you have a particular need to discuss.

Enjoy! Ian

1 hour ago, The Admiral said:

It was my first visit and I enjoyed it. I had no particular wish-list, but it was a great opportunity to see things first hand. Most things are a lot bigger in the flesh! I am not sure I would attend regularly, but it would be useful if you have a particular need to discuss.

Enjoy! Ian

Also my first visit to one of these things, and i second everything seemed bigger, the Tec 140 looked incredibly fat.

Like you say wouldn't go often but was interesting to see the stuff in the flesh

Archived