Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Shooting the Aurora

Droogie 2001

I am going to Iceland for a short break in the next few months so I thought I would have a go at imaging the Aurora.
I have an Astro Modified Canon 1100D so my first question is whether I need to switch the White Balance settings to colour correct for daylight photos? This is something I do should I wish take terrestial photos during day time.

Normally when taking images of the Milky Way or DSO’s I want to use the enhanced sensitivity to infrared but not sure if this will be desirable for the Aurora?

Secondly, I will be using a Samyang 16mm F2 lens so what sort of exposure, ISO and Focal ratio should I be looking at?

I am considering 10-15 Secs F4 @ ISO800 as a starting point, the moon will not be a factor.

Appreciate some of this will be trial and error but I would like to at least have made some preparations beforehand. Of course, this is all based on whether I am lucky enough to see the Aurora.

Thanks.

Shoot your stills in RAW and ignore the WB you can then tweak it later.  Having captured the Aurora here in the UK I would be tempted to reduce your exposure time to around 5 seconds.  It depends how active the Aurora will be.  I shot wide open at 2.8 with my Canon pancake lens but it depends on the lens performance and I'm not familiar with that lens so hopefully somebody else is.

Further to what Chris says about focusing, after setting, gaffer tape the focus ring so it can't be accidentally moved.

Use the histogram to judge exposure, you're after the fastest shutter speed you can get away with to avoid  blurring - the curtains move amazingly fast.

Wouldn't hurt to take some Darks too if you have to go up to ISO 1600 or 3200.

Michael

Mrs M and I went last March and saw a stunning display.  I can thoroughly recommend Time Tours.  http://timetours.is/  They definitely went that extra mile (literally) and stayed out much later than other tour operators to make sure we saw the best of the display.

I was shooting with a Canon 1000D with a Samyang 10mm lens shooting wide open (f2.8).  I was at ISO 1600 with exposures of between 30 seconds and 5 seconds, depending upon how bright the aurora was at the time.  I practiced focussing the lens before I went and made a mark on the lens where the focus sweet spot was.  It was flippin' cold so I'm glad I took along a very small dew heater set up for the  lens.  Also make sure you take a couple of spare fully-charged batteries with you as batteries can discharge VERY quickly in sub-zero temperatures.

I hope this helps.  Have a great trip.

2 hours ago, Droogie 2001 said:

... Where did you get the dew heater from? I have one for my 50mm Guidescope so potentially could use this but need a means of powering it..

I bought an off-the-shelf dew heater band.  I added a cheap 12v fader from eBay to regulate the current and powered it with a cheap lithium battery pack, again from EBay.

Archived