740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Field Flattener for ST80

7 hours ago, Freddie said:

For what it's worth, this was with a completely standard ST80.

Nice image or result, i will be happy to get this target with my ST80, i did that 2 nights ago but didn't stack or process them because i don't know how at all, only taking subs, one day i hope.

So i can see that ST80 can be used, and can have some results, i didn't ask for high quality results out of this ST80, so i bought accessories only to make things easier, and i do have narrowbanding filter, Ha to be specific, and it is from Astrodon, and a mono cooled camera, all those will reduce a lot of issues with ST80, with flattener i will reduce the field curvature, i said reduce not eliminate as many will say it won't solve of ST80 maybe because it is a cheap scope, and then CA, with NB filters and with processing i assume i can reduce that too if can't remove it completely, and at the end i will have results that are good enough, not excellent high level, and that all helping me in practice and learning, so later in the future when i have a very good capable APO scope i will be ready for it and know what to do and no need to practice anymore.

Thank you very much, so did you sell or get rid of your ST80 so far?

• 1 month later...

An update, yesterday i received the focuser and field flattener, i added an extension tube with the order, so 3 items, i immediately changed the standard focuser on my ST80 with the new one, and i installed the FF and it all attached perfectly to my camera, soon  these days i will test it for the sky, but don't know how to install Ha filter 1.25" now, but i am happy with the focuser and the flattener.

Thank you very much!

Been keeping up with this topic, I to have a ST80 orion, I love the scope, would never sale it. Just dont understand those that wish to put others down for what they wish and do spend their money on. I did replace the focuser on my ST80 with a dual speed Crayford from ScopeStuff, never have been sorry I did. The 2" diagonals and all related eq. will move over one day to a larger scope, but for now its me and my ST80 and I to will invest in more filters, and also am looking at a field flattener from orion. By the way I also have a an orion Pro8 reflected, I even put a 2 speed Crayford on it. Think I need one of them shirts, ST80 Club......forever!!!

47 minutes ago, Redbird48oo said:

Been keeping up with this topic, I to have a ST80 orion, I love the scope, would never sale it. Just dont understand those that wish to put others down for what they wish and do spend their money on. I did replace the focuser on my ST80 with a dual speed Crayford from ScopeStuff, never have been sorry I did. The 2" diagonals and all related eq. will move over one day to a larger scope, but for now its me and my ST80 and I to will invest in more filters, and also am looking at a field flattener from orion. By the way I also have a an orion Pro8 reflected, I even put a 2 speed Crayford on it. Think I need one of them shirts, ST80 Club......forever!!!

Way to go, even if i buy another telescope i won't give up my ST80 too, i can be used as a guide scope or even as a backup scope sometimes, and i am not in rush, others maybe have experience and think that i will be the same too, next year i will have time for another scope if it is a must.

40 minutes ago, Redbird48oo said:

which field flattener did you buy? Am looking to buy also

The one i bought is this one [But not from this vendor, i bought it from OPT, first was looking for Orion field flattener but OPT told me it was out of stock when i ordered it, so they replace it to this one and reduced the price to be save as Orion FF price, about $135]

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/hotech-sca-field-flattener.html

2 hours ago, Redbird48oo said:

The orion onn

Ok, good, let's see how will be your results then.

From where did you buy it?

If it is good enough or maybe better than my Hotech then i may buy it for ST and i will use Hotech for another scope, or it doesn't harm me to have more than one flattener, they aren't expensive to be honest, once i go with high end brands and choose reducer then i can talk about expensive.