Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Field Flattener for ST80

3 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

How can i apply the Ha filter then if i use a lens with QHY163M, the adapters to connect the camera to lens doesn't have any 1.25" thread, not the one i have already.

If I'm not mistaken, QHY163m has 2" barrel that also has female T2 thread bored on inside diameter - so you can choose to mount it via 2" or T2. I guess that your adapter to lens is T2 kind with male thread on camera side?

If that is the case, then there is simple solution for mounting filters, and that would be something like this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7514_Baader-continuous-male-T2-thread-with-1-25--Filterthread.html

that fits in female T2 thread of camera, and you probably need

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p561_Baader-Adapter--Continuous-male-T2-thread.html

to again go back to female thread from male thread of filter adapter - this combination will add 10mm of optical path.

Other option would be, and this one probably does not require additional optical path:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9003_ZWO-T2-Filter-Holder-for-1-25--filters.html

Just see the picture to get idea how it is used - there is enough T2 female thread left to just screw on your lens adapter as you would normally do.

Each of these options let you place filter close to sensor so there will not be any vignetting, but you won't be able to change filters without dismantling everything.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

If I'm not mistaken, QHY163m has 2" barrel that also has female T2 thread bored on inside diameter - so you can choose to mount it via 2" or T2. I guess that your adapter to lens is T2 kind with male thread on camera side?

If that is the case, then there is simple solution for mounting filters, and that would be something like this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7514_Baader-continuous-male-T2-thread-with-1-25--Filterthread.html

that fits in female T2 thread of camera, and you probably need

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p561_Baader-Adapter--Continuous-male-T2-thread.html

to again go back to female thread from male thread of filter adapter - this combination will add 10mm of optical path.

Other option would be, and this one probably does not require additional optical path:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9003_ZWO-T2-Filter-Holder-for-1-25--filters.html

Just see the picture to get idea how it is used - there is enough T2 female thread left to just screw on your lens adapter as you would normally do.

Each of these options let you place filter close to sensor so there will not be any vignetting, but you won't be able to change filters without dismantling everything.

Great, this is a nice solution and a big help, i will give it a try if i buy it, also there is similar option i got from a seller of a vendor about using a filter wheel with a Canon lens on this QHY camera, so i will look at all options.

Thank you very much!

5 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

Sorry, i won't sell my Astrodon and i don't want cheaper filters, i prefer to use cheaper scope over cheaper filters :icon_biggrin:

Well to be honest that is ridiculous, sorry to be blunt.. :) 

But you are basically waisting your money  on those filters to use through a very cheap and very poor imaging scope, so the advantage of expensive filters is all lost, the image will be no better than using cheaper filters through it..but it’s your money... :)

2 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

For ordering from Orion site [Telescope.com] if you checked out this link you will see that they aren't shipping to many international countries such as my country, and funny they stated to use the local dealer which i tried, very bad prices and not many items available, so that i ignored Orion completely.

http://www.telescope.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=ShippingAndDelivery&src=footer2

Thanks for the update. A certain 'character' over here is closing-off trade to many countries unless they pay him off first.

My Apologies, Tareq -

Dave :angry5:

30 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Well to be honest that is ridiculous, sorry to be blunt.. :) 

But you are basically waisting your money  on those filters to use through a very cheap and very poor imaging scope, so the advantage of expensive filters is all lost, the image will be no better than using cheaper filters through it..but it’s your money... :)

Who said i will use ST80 forever? i was saying i will use it until next year, when i have a budget and new plans, but until new year it is roughly 3-4 months, say 5 if i can't afford it in January anyway, so for 3-5 months i have no choice but using ST80, and if i buy APO triplet then i will never think less than Astrodon, now for this scope don't tell me that this filter maker isn't much different than cheaper filters, i can't have both, and it is not a wise to buy cheap filter now then i replace it later, but for now i still have ST80 which i will never sell because it will be used as guide scope later, think as long term, not as now term, i have only about $1000 to afford this year or until end of this year, this is never enough for a high quality APO triplet with flattener or reducer, and i only look at Esprit or Steelarvue scopes, and each are above $1000 further much, so the idea about a scope this year is out of reach, means i can go with another items, i only need LRGB filters now, this is not above $1000 even from Astrodon, and the filter wheel isn't much expensive, ZWO one is about $300, the left money i can get a focuser maybe.

Don't get me wrong, i know APO scope is all the way to go, but this is my future plan, and i didn't ask a lot for ST80 anyway, only new focuser, i will ignore about flattener for it, getting a focuser for ST80 isn't a crime, even for guiding it may help better, also i can still use it for the moon and the sun, give me $1000 then i will add $1000 then i can buy an APO scope and keep with Astrodon filters, i found LRGB 36mm filters cheap and free shipping, this is a big deal, i only buy 1.25" Astrodon filters as members in another forum told me it is not necessary for 36mm size if i don't use a full frame camera and not very fast optics, if i need 36mm then i can buy cheap alternatives filters.

18 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Thanks for the update. A certain 'character' over here is closing-off trade to many countries unless they pay him off first.

My Apologies, Tareq -

Dave :angry5:

That is ok, i don't blame them, i act as i never saw or found that site, i just use another sites or vendors, i don't know their policy with shipping, but it won't be a problem for me, i bought SkyWatcher brand over Orion for some equipment, i prefer white mount over black, but funny Orion have White scopes for ST80 while SkyWatcher using black color, but i loved the color and texture or shape on SW scope, and i like white AZ-EQ6, great contrast.

On 9/30/2017 at 18:48, alacant said:

Hi. If you go for the focuser upgrade, this ff works well. But for the cost of the focuser you could get a good 80mm doublet which is better corrected which already has a 2" focuser. It produces good images, better than my -admittedly Friday afternoon- ed80. HTH

That is a nice scope, but i do read that it is Achromatic also, so why do you think this will be better than enhanced ST80? i found a focuser for ST80 and field flattener compatible with ST80, so aren't those giving ST80 almost same quality of this scope your posted? and the porblem is that the scope isn't coming with a flatener, so need to buy that additionally, this is a guide scope as well from what i read, i thought it will be as APO doublet or at least better optics like ED inside.

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. It costs less than the focuser you are interested in and already has a 2" focuser. Use the st80 to guide it? HTH.

No, it isn't cheaper than the focuser i am interested in, and funny that this one you posted is in GB pound, but i can say it is cheaper because it is 2 thing, the scope and the focuser, then what about the flattener? and i don't see the shipping to my country, i already added money on my credit card, not much, about $350, so can you make this scope you linked me with a flattener + shipping to be about $350 or less?

2 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. Sorry, I'm no expert on either shipping or currency conversion but this ff works well with the Opticstar. HTH.

I tried to get that doublet scope from the link you posted, unfortunately they don't ship to my country UAE, so what to do then?

I can't wait longer as long i got the money ready, can you recommend something then quickly for about $350 which is approximately 264GBP but included the focuser and flattener?

2 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

+1 for the above linked FF

That is even more price than the one i found for my ST80, sorry, i have no options here, i already put about 264 pound in the card, and i saw 2 items which are the focuser and flattener both for ST80 and the shipping included, now if i go with your options it means i will pay more than 264, why? just because it is slightly better? it is not so much better, only slightly because it is not APO, i better save some money i have now for filters and other accessories i need, next year i can buy that APO telescope anyway, now getting another scope that is not huge better than ST80 and still it is a guide scope and it has already a focuser but no flattener so i pay more, while i already have ST80, and i use narrowbanding filters and i use a mono cooled camera, all what i need is just a focuser and flattener, i never see many images done with ST80 and mono cooled to justify it, last month and yesterday i tested my ST80 with my mono camera, i got results that are fine, and it can be improved if stacked and improved a lot.

In addition to all above, i still have Canon lenses if i want better optics, on facebook many tried with me to put that ST80 only as guide scope and buy something else, i told them about my Canon lenses then they told me just use that over ST80, so i don't need to buy another non APO scope for better results, but even if i bought that focuser for ST80 it will be better for guiding anyway than standard, i can always use ST80 as a backup scope if i need to, upgrading the focuser isn't a big deal, and the flattener sounds find with many scopes not just ST80, so i won't be losing much, you just want me to detach the whole ST80 idea, i will do that if you gave me prices much better than what i found and not adding much, with good shipping to my country.

1 minute ago, TareqPhoto said:

now if i go with your options it means i will pay more than 264, why?

Just my personal view having had experience with it. Otherwise, absolutely no reason. Just trying to present an alternative as it seems unusual fitting such a luxury focuser on an st80. That's all!

1 minute ago, alacant said:

Just my personal view having had experience with it. Otherwise, absolutely no reason. Just trying to present an alternative as it seems unusual fitting such a luxury focuser on an st80. That's all!

Luxury focuser? $150 is a luxury focuser? if i said Moonlight[or moonlite] focuser or Starlight then yes, that will be a luxury one, but the one i found is just $155, it is really not a big deal, a filter is more expensive that this focuser, so don't make it as it is a big deal for ST80, i really enjoy this ST80 more these days, and i can use it for the moon and the sun too, not only DSO, i do have filters to correct some issues, the flattener is needed with all refractors anyway, some refractors coming with one as built in or as additional, it is just i never see anyone using flattener and whatever with ST80 because they believe it is an Achro scope so it is bad quality all over.

I posted this image on facebook, and somewhere here too, imagine i did it with quick or short exposures and with not good alignment, the member who processed it from me i think he didn't stack the files, it was my first ever light with the camera QHY163M, i didn't see anyone get that with ST80 without filter and mono camera and just single exposure, i uploaded the RAW files on same post on facebook page, would like to play with the files to show me how bad is ST80?

M42

So with flattener and focser i can refine even more, and i already got a PoleMaster, that time when i took that image i didn't have PoleMaster yet, also it is unguided, i did buy a guide scope and i just today got my package from post office which including a small camera for guiding, QHY5LiiM, so add all these with ST80, how far i am going? and all those i can use them with an APO scope later when i buy one, so nothing i buy now will be wasted or get rid off, i just practice now until i get better budget, i only look for an expensive APO triplet scope, which means i don't want to go with cheap doublets or cheap triplets even, not Takahashi level, but from what i read SkyWatcher Esprit is the only way to go for those less than $2000 great quality APO tripletscope, in all cases i can't buy that scope this year even if i sold my ST80 and start saving, and to be honest, i was thinking about Esprit 80mm, but someone convinced me to just pass that and go with Esprit 100 and add reducer, that is more expensive idea but it means i definitely have to wait longer, so waiting all that long i have to use what i have now.

23 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

Luxury focuser? $150 is a luxury focuser? if i said Moonlight[or moonlite] focuser or Starlight then yes, that will be a luxury one, but the one i found is just $155, it is really not a big deal, a filter is more expensive that this focuser, so don't make it as it is a big deal for ST80, i really enjoy this ST80 more these days, and i can use it for the moon and the sun too, not only DSO, i do have filters to correct some issues, the flattener is needed with all refractors anyway, some refractors coming with one as built in or as additional, it is just i never see anyone using flattener and whatever with ST80 because they believe it is an Achro scope so it is bad quality all over.

I posted this image on facebook, and somewhere here too, imagine i did it with quick or short exposures and with not good alignment, the member who processed it from me i think he didn't stack the files, it was my first ever light with the camera QHY163M, i didn't see anyone get that with ST80 without filter and mono camera and just single exposure, i uploaded the RAW files on same post on facebook page, would like to play with the files to show me how bad is ST80?

M42

It is a luxury focuser for an ST80, as it costs nearly three times what the scope is worth....seems a real waste, as it won’t make a huge difference, I used to have an ST80 and I spent a couple of hours tweaking the stock focuser and got it to run lovely and smooth, with a couple of very small mods..so it can be done. :)

15 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

It is a luxury focuser for an ST80, as it costs nearly three times what the scope is worth....seems a real waste, as it won’t make a huge difference, I used to have an ST80 and I spent a couple of hours tweaking the stock focuser and got it to run lovely and smooth, with a couple of very small mods..so it can be done. :)

I get confused in this site as the prices here sounds different than what i find, i bought my ST80 for slightly over than the focuser i found, it is really amazing that you said you get ST80 for nearly 3 times less than the focuser, so about $50, did you buy ST80 as used? i bought it as brand new from FLO which was the cheapest vendor i found for ST80 brand new, but i remember i bought mine with accessories, maybe that is why it is little higher than what you've got.

Anyway, i already ordered the focuser and the flattener just now, couldn't wait longer and didn't find better options as scope + focuser + flattener + shipping with good price, so i took the risk anyway.

Thank you very much!

Now all what i need is to save little money to get that adapter where i can use 2" focuser or flattener and 1.25" filters, it was posted above, pity that the Shipping is so much expensive than the item itself, nearly 3 times of the items, that is why i didn't like to buy from that vendor or store.

Archived