Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies_winners.thumb.jpg.94f78e21c195e385c5621d89ea0b51b9.jpg

Allinthehead

Sh2-126 Ha Rgb

I decided to try a boost in saturation and brightness, and increased contrast a little.

59d150ed9efa6_sh2rducestars.thumb.jpg.393854faefd95f2338715d4126466627.jpg

Edited by Allinthehead

Yes, I think it looks even better now. If you can figure out that star shrink procedure in PI that @wimvbtalked about I think that would nail it. I just gave in and bought PI a few hours ago and realize, as I suspected, that I am heading for a step learning hill. With the few images I managed to grab with my Samyang I see that suppressing stars will be a major task.

Edited by gorann

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Yes, I think it looks even better now. If you can figure out that star shrink procedure in PI that @wimvbtalked about I think that would nail it. I just gave in and bought PI a few hours ago and realize, as I suspected, that I am heading for a step learning hill. With the few images I managed to grab with my Samyang I see that suppressing stars will be a major task.

:evil62: Another one lured to the dark side.

To get you started (in approximately this order):

Richard Bloch's videos on YouTube, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HUOe4R5Hng

Harry Page's tutorials.

Kayron Mercieca's tutorials on LightVortexAstronomy.com

Warren Keller's book Inside PixInsight (basic, but a good reference)

And finally, my goto in times of trouble: Alejandro Tombolini's PixInsight resources: http://pixinsight.com.ar/

Oh, and forget about layers. :wink:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gorann said:

Thanks Gorann. When i get some time i must try that procedure. Good luck with pixinsight. Whenever i use it i liken it to what I'd imagine having a stroke feels like.

• Like 1

Just to echo everyone else's thoughts - super image! Second orientation for me too :)

14 hours ago, wimvb said:

:evil62: Another one lured to the dark side.

To get you started (in approximately this order):

Richard Bloch's videos on YouTube, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HUOe4R5Hng

Harry Page's tutorials.

Kayron Mercieca's tutorials on LightVortexAstronomy.com

Warren Keller's book Inside PixInsight (basic, but a good reference)

And finally, my goto in times of trouble: Alejandro Tombolini's PixInsight resources: http://pixinsight.com.ar/

Wim, the better star shrinking procedure you described tipped me over the top, so it finally happened to me too, yesterday afternoon. I gave in (or gave up) and bought Pixinsight. Did my first DBE, which created a very blotchy background - apparently I did not have the settings right, but it is a start..... Then I had a message this afternoon that I could download 13 new updates, which resulted in 8 error messages when I restarted Pixinsight, but it is a start.....

Sorry Allinthehead fro hijacking your thread!

3 hours ago, coatesg said:

Just to echo everyone else's thoughts - super image! Second orientation for me too :)

Thanks for that Graham.

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Sorry Allinthehead fro hijacking your thread!

No bother

3 hours ago, Petergoodhew said:

Richard - that's an amazing image.  So unusual. Quite remarkable.  Well done!

Thanks Peter. It gives me great hope for the brighter targets from my location.

1 hour ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Very nicely done Richard, everything looks spot on from here, you must be pleased?

Thanks Paddy delighted with it.

That looks awesome... I'm starting to think that you guys up north have way more objects to image than we do here down under.

Great image.  This is one I also don't remember seeing before.  I agree about the second one bringing us into the image more, but I kinda liked the first one better as it keeps my focus on the subject and not the flow.  Also dedicates more real estate to the subject.   But choosing between 2 great images.

13 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

That looks awesome... I'm starting to think that you guys up north have way more objects to image than we do here down under.

Thanks Mars. I suppose the grass is always greener. We look on southern objects with envy too. 

12 hours ago, DarkAntimatter said:

Great image.  This is one I also don't remember seeing before.  I agree about the second one bringing us into the image more, but I kinda liked the first one better as it keeps my focus on the subject and not the flow.  Also dedicates more real estate to the subject.   But choosing between 2 great images.

Thanks for the feedback DarkAntimatter.

7 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

This is not an easy target and you have done really well. :icon_salut:

Thanks Mike. I came across your lovely image of this while looking for images of this target.

On 02/10/2017 at 01:01, wimvb said:

Are you mad????

:icon_mrgreen::eek::evil4:

(Strictly a joke...)

Olly

• Haha 1

I think this is super.... I love the red of the nebulosity the more colourless tendrils around it. Star colour is good.....this image is classy in every way 👍🏻👍🏻

11 hours ago, swag72 said:

I think this is super.... I love the red of the nebulosity the more colourless tendrils around it. Star colour is good.....this image is classy in every way 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks Sara. I appreciate that.

Fantastic image, never seen this one before

8 hours ago, Gedan said:

Fantastic image, never seen this one before

Thanks Gedan. Glad you like it. It's always nice to see something new

• Like 1

Can't believe I missed this one-awesome

Rodd

Forgot to ask...is this the Samyang? If so-How do you connect the Samyang to the scope--or 1600--or do you need to use a DSLR (don't see one in your kit)

Rodd