SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sh2-126 Ha Rgb

Allinthehead

Good evening all. Following on from my ha version of this i'm finally done with this data. This is sh2-126 in Lacerta. If you locate Andromeda and trace a line towards Deneb it's about half way. This is a large star forming region approx 1200 light years from earth. The source of it's ionisation is the intense ultraviolet radiation of the star 10 Lacertae, a blue main sequence star. ( from the interwebby )

I collected 12 hrs of ha, 4.5 red, 3 blue, 3 green and 7 hrs of lum. Combined 29.5 hrs. By far the most data i've collected on any one object. It probably needs a bit more owing to my having to shoot through a blanket of light pollution from local street lights. 

The Ha was gain 300 for 150 seconds. The Lrgb was unity gain for 150 seconds. Sensor cooled to -20. Processed in PS. Stacked in DSS.

I couldn't decide which orientation i liked better so i thought i'd post them both.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on my thread about combining luminance with rgb. I was going nowhere fast on my own. Olly's method was the one i went with. Combining it in small amounts. Otherwise it just washed out the colour.

Anyway i hope you like it.

Richard.

59cd3dd543c24_Sh2126finalcrop.thumb.png.0e62d6e109ea9458f3de6b4272d1e919.png

59cd3def7ab97_sh2126final.thumb.png.926f78749256eb840bacccc3c063bcef.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, ultranova said:

That's lovely, first time I have ever seen this one

very nicely done, well worth the time on it.

Paul

Thanks Paul and a lot of time it was. Collecting that much data in Ireland is no easy task. I think it was 7 nights all in.

22 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Very nice in all aspects! Ha looks good, lum looks good, colours look good, stars look good. How wide was the lens opened?

Thanks Alex. Lens was wide open.

I love this object (or rather, pair of objects.) I can't think of any other Ha object so large, smooth and featureless on small scales while having so distinctive a large scale structure. The dusty 'flying fish' sets it off perfectly.

Superb.

Olly

34 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I love this object (or rather, pair of objects.) I can't think of any other Ha object so large, smooth and featureless on small scales while having so distinctive a large scale structure. The dusty 'flying fish' sets it off perfectly.

Superb.

Olly

Thanks Olly .Yes as soon as i saw this on Dso browser i was interested. The "Flying fish" would make a nice target at a longer focal length, also the nebulosity lower left is quite interesting. 

59ce06cd75efb_sh2126finalcropneb.thumb.png.edc45b68d26d72f93ed8f319f607bf25.png

5 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Olly .Yes as soon as i saw this on Dso browser i was interested. The "Flying fish" would make a nice target at a longer focal length, also the nebulosity lower left is quite interesting. 

59ce06cd75efb_sh2126finalcropneb.thumb.png.edc45b68d26d72f93ed8f319f607bf25.png

Agreed. I met this thanks to Maurice Toet who was imaging it on one of his visits. It was irrestible but still consumed 24 hours (as a two panel) from our dark site. You have to be up for it but it's really worth it.

Olly

11 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

I've had no feedback on which orientation is more pleasing. Have you a preference?

Lovely image and another one I've not seen before. How can the universe be so big :) Of the two orientations, I slightly prefer the second but they both work well.

On the framing, it's often said that the top right draws the eye. I tend not to like fixed ideas on things like this but, none the less, I think this one has merit so I prefer the second orientation. That dusty umbilical brings us down into the image, if you like.

Olly

As everyone has said, a very very nice image of a rarely imaged object!

Maybe you could try to reduce the stars a bit more to make the nebula stand out even better. You could use Noel's actions in PS if you have that. Worth a try to see how it looks.

4 minutes ago, gorann said:

As everyone has said, a very very nice image of a rarely imaged object!

Maybe you could try to reduce the stars a bit more to make the nebula stand out even better. You could use Noel's actions in PS if you have that. Worth a try to see how it looks.

Hi Gorann. Thanks for the feedback. I did give it one dose of Noel's actions reduce stars, i do find giving it any more introduces a strange artifact when zoomed in.

59d0ac1fe4c5b_sh2rducestars.thumb.jpg.000b46a01c428ee06e3f964916155a73.jpg

59d0ac20ec156_sh2croprducestars.jpg.a8f61e0725b4349f9c83e34f9ebf630e.jpg

12 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

On the framing, it's often said that the top right draws the eye. I tend not to like fixed ideas on things like this but, none the less, I think this one has merit so I prefer the second orientation. That dusty umbilical brings us down into the image, if you like.

Olly

I think i agree. The reason i like the other orientation was the way it gave a sense of depth in the ha from bottom left at the forefront stretching back deeper towards the top right. 

Yes, I know that artifact. It somehow joins stars that are close together with a cord. Does the large image you now posted have one round of star shrinking or do you mean that you had done that to your original post? I think that in your case the artifact is quite subtle and only noticeable after some serious pixel peeping. So, it is a tough decision since the star shrinking helps bringing out the nebula quite a bit. I like the version you now posted.

Great image. Never seen this before.

Framing: I like the tighter crop of nr 1 with the orientation of nr 2. So, what about image 1 rotated to have the same orientation as nr 2?

Star reduction (you probably already know this, but anyway): PixInsight morphological transform with a good, albeit soft, contour star mask. Try morph selection at 0.25, amount 0.4, iterations about 4, 3x3 element. In images where the standard contour mask doesn't work, I make 2 different ordinary star masks which I then subtract in Pixelmath. This guarantees contours around all stars.

52 minutes ago, gorann said:

Yes, I know that artifact. It somehow joins stars that are close together with a cord. Does the large image you now posted have one round of star shrinking or do you mean that you had done that to your original post? I think that in your case the artifact is quite subtle and only noticeable after some serious pixel peeping. So, it is a tough decision since the star shrinking helps bringing out the nebula quite a bit. I like the version you now posted.

I had done one round of star reduction on the original. The last version i posted has a further 2 rounds to show the artifact. I tried again with just 2 rounds in total and you can just see the artifact starting to creep in.

16 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great image. Never seen this before.

Framing: I like the tighter crop of nr 1 with the orientation of nr 2. So, what about image 1 rotated to have the same orientation as nr 2?

Star reduction (you probably already know this, but anyway): PixInsight morphological transform with a good, albeit soft, contour star mask. Try morph selection at 0.25, amount 0.4, iterations about 4, 3x3 element. In images where the standard contour mask doesn't work, I make 2 different ordinary star masks which I then subtract in Pixelmath. This guarantees contours around all stars.

Thanks for the comment and feedback. I didn't know that about pixinsight. At the moment i'm just learning the basics with it. I use it for DBE and SCNR and that's it, everything else is done in DSS and PS as that's what i'm used to.

Archived