Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quality USB hub

5 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

I've been looking too, Anker get good reviews, they do a nice 7 or 10 port powered USB3. I'm going to try one of the 7 ports.

A7505012_ND_01.jpg

Look great and a nice price. Can i ask what is the difference between USB2 and USB3?. I'm guessing speed/connectivity/transfer of data.

18 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Yep, exactly that. USB3 can be up to 10 times faster at data transfer!

OK, great. My next question is:

Are the USB fitting sizes the same?. Will a USB 2 fitting fit into a USB 3 port?. I guess so. So its all down to the devices used? 

No need to answer because i have just plugged a USB 2 wire into the USB 3 port on my laptop and it works. Does it work any faster?. Not sure because i am not tranfering any data. Im only charging my phone.

Maybe the phone will charge faster?.

13 minutes ago, skybadger said:

Bear in mind that a whole host of usb2 stuff won't work in a usb3 socket. They are meant to be backwards compatible but I have found items that don't. Maybe it's a driver thing.

Mike

That's interesting, I've been running a USB3 card in my PC and it works OK with all my USB2 devices. May be drivers as you say, my USB3 card came with a drivers disk.

10 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

That's interesting, I've been running a USB3 card in my PC and it works OK with all my USB2 devices. May be drivers as you say, my USB3 card came with a drivers disk.

examples include USB Ethernet, portable hard disks . I thinks it's the individual device drivers not the USB card or hub.

And i damaged my ASI120MC trying to plug it into USB3.0 powered hub, now i can't use it at all, my laptop has one USB2.0 port but it is not working internally which needs fixing, so even that camera didn't work on my USB3.0 port that i supposed it is a backwards compatible, later one on ZWO forum i found out that it won't work with USB3.0, i was late.

I don't have 3 USB3.0 hubs, one is powered, the other 2 are just plug and play an working fine until one of them stopped working or only one port is working, i don't have any complains so far, and the brands of those hubs are: Transcend [the powered one], TwinMOS and TrendNet which has that issue of stopping working just only one port and it is the only hub that is white color.

I am interested in to buy that 7 ports hub, but can i find one that is 7 ports without powered or i can use it even it is powered one but without AC power?

HI everyone,

I have had far better experiences with powered hubs used local to the computer whether used with an Intel NUC PC or a MacBook Pro.

My scope etc. is attached to my PC via 5 metre cables.

With regard to USB 3 and use with an ASI120MM-S I found it would not work with a cable length over 3 metres. I bought a good quality 5 metre usb 3 cable and sent  it back as there was no communication at all; I subsequently discovered usb 3 specification limits cable length to 3 metres! Makes you wonder why they sell 5 metre usb 3 cables in the first place! I overcame the problem by using a Pro-Signal active repeater extension cable from CPC which works a treat.

My Atik cameras work fine with USB 2 and a 5 metre cable although cables fitted with RF chokes work more reliably, especially with my Hitec focusing unit.

HTH

I’m intrigued to hear about people having issues with the asi 120 camera running via USB 3.0. I had a bit of a hiccup earlier in that my new laptop with USB 3 ports wouldn’t communicate with an asi 120mm but it was easily resolved by downloading the latest drivers from zwo and disabling the power saving setting for the usb in the computer settings (this was using a 3m extension plus the supplied 2m camera usb lead so 5m in total) :)

Archived