Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova's discovered by amateurs?

Hi good folks,

I was was reading an article about "amateur astronomers" who caught supernova's on their photos.

Naturally I got a little excited that this could happen for us amateurs if we were really lucky.

Then I made it to the part that mentioned it was a 32" RC and was a little bummed out.

Does anyone know if these sort of pictures have been taken with more modest equipment?

/Clear skies

Absolutely they can. The question of discovery is a different matter, they are normally found by large automated surveys I think but amateurs can image them still. I saw one visually in a 4" scope a while back, quite tricky given the light pollution at my site, but there none the less.

More info here:

I have been thinking about before posting, come up with if you taking several images stacking programme May see it as a bad pixel, so would have to be an individual sub to overlay on a previous image and you have to check against with aimage taking three days before just in case a planet was covering up, so to beat the automatic systems the odds are stacked against you.

17 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

I have been thinking about before posting, come up with if you taking several images stacking programme May see it as a bad pixel, so would have to be an individual sub to overlay on a previous image and you have to check against with aimage taking three days before just in case a planet was covering up, so to beat the automatic systems the odds are stacked against you.

Yeah it seems so..

Look at this setup ?: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/amateur-astronomers-discover-dozens-of-supernovae/

But I was mainly wondering if it was visible with more modest equipment. The topic subject is a little misleading I'm afraid.

7 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

But I was mainly wondering if it was visible with more modest equipment. The topic subject is a little misleading I'm afraid.

Yep, as said, provided it is bright enough which a certain number of them are, you don't need a huge scope.

Archived