Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

cjdawson

Wide field time lapse

Hey all.

My interest in timelapse has been building over the last couple of years.  After an attempt to do some at SLG 11, this has been something that has been bubbling on the back burner for a long time.

My interest has once again risen in getting this going as I now have what I think will be a fairly nice setup for doing Day to night (Holy Grail) time lapses.

Here's the kit that I'll be using.....

1. Canon 70D

2. Sigma 17-50mm Zoom lens at F2.8 (Over the whole range)

3. 2 axis camera slider

4. iPhone/iPad - running qDslrDashBoard

5. Lens muff - and single use hand warmers

This setup fits together rather nicely.  The slider that I have does Move-Shoot-Move, after moving it will trigger the camera via the shutter release cable.  (I could use an intervalometer for this, the slider has the feature built in so no need to complicate things even more.)

The Canon 70D will be mounted on the slider on a ball mount.  It connected to the iPhone/iPad over WIFI (I thought that was a gimick at first).  the iOS device will be running qDslrDashboard which will perform the settings tweaking for the Holy grail stuff.

The Sigma Lens at F2.8 will be faster than my kit lens (F4.5)

The Lens muff, will be wrapped around the sigma lens and have 3 single use hand warmers (lasts 10 hours) to keep dew away from the glass.

All in all, I'm getting rather excited to trying this out :)

• Like 2

Sounds like a good plan and is something I would like to try, I have similar kit apart from the slider but had thought about using a SW GTI mount for panning instead. I would love to see your results..

Alan

Alan my virtuoso mount can be controlled by an android app called Panorama App, I got the tip of it from photos by Kev. Check out his blog for an article on it.

Edit I can't find the article I had read now and the software used is different on the article I did find.

At Cj that's looks a great kit list, I hope you get to try it out soon.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Thanks 1

Starting out with th3 kit you have is a good starting place.      qDslrDashboard also works over usb from a pc.   So WiFi isn’t needed.   Can use a static tripod to get things up and running

For those starting out in Timelapse, here's my first attempt.

It was taken with my Canon 30D set to Aperture priority.   Using an intervalometer to trigger the shutter every 30 seconds.    It was good enough to prove see how to do it, but it does have a couple of problems (I've been spending lots of time researching to solve these issues)

firstly, about 1/2 way though, the image goes blurry, this is dew forming on the lens.  The starfield is a little dim, I was using the f4.5 kit lens.   There is a bit of a flickering if you look closely enough (not easy to see)   this is down to not having the camera in manual mode.

Hence the new kit list about, should be able to solve all of those issues.

What do you think the flickering was? I guess perhaps constant light metering adjustments? Tricky one if it was.

Yep, it was light metering adjustments.    In AP mode, the camera adjusts for a "correct exposure" for each shot.  This is what causes the flickering.    To solve the problem, the solution is to use a technique of changing the settings, leaving them alone for a few shots, then adjusting again as the light conditions change.   By exposing several exposures at with the same settings, the flickering stops.

Rather than doing this manually, I'm using qDslrDashboard.   What this will do is download a jpg of the last image taken - so I'll be shooting in Raw and the smallest jpg that I can.  The image is downloaded to qDslrDashboard, and used to measure the histograms.  The next shot is taken and another measurement is taken.  As the image gets dimmer, the software will adjust the camera settings to compensate.  But it's more controlled than the AP mode in the camera.

In addition the AP mode in the camera will be able to adjust the time of the shot only.  qDslrDashboard is able to adjust both the time and the ISO settings of the camera.  This is a technique called the "Holy grail of Time lapse"  It will allow the camera to take ISO100 short exposures in bright sunlight, and adjust to 20 second (or longer) exposures at ISO12800 (on my camera) for some truely fantastic night shots.

• Like 2