Narrowband

Local Police Recommend "Dusk 'till Dawn" LED Lights

Geoff Lister

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over here it's well documented that the vast majority of break-ins to private-homes is between 9:00am - 4:00pm - in other words, burglars work during regular business hours. When you are most likely away at work yourself! Who'd a thunk it? Duhhhh...

I caught a burglar once - trying to break into my next-door neighbors' home.

Police over here are aware of these studies showing the statistics. Yet they, too, persist in this "Keep your home lit-up like High Noon!" propaganda. Occam's Razor leads me to conclude: Most people are stupid. Occam must have been quite the old curmudgeon. :p

Dave

Astronomers make up a very small percentage of the population and any action in support is likely to be minimal if any. Even when combined with the effect on wildlife very little will be done. The scaremongering marketing strategy for bright lights is well established and has been absorbed by most folk, coupled with the fact that burglary is not even on the police radar and that they are promoting the idea of lighting the place up, It's not looking promising ?

On 01/10/2017 at 18:03, PeterW said:

Keep light WELL BELOW THE HORIZONTAL, the light emitted NEAR horizontal is the stuff that spreads out and mucks the sky up. Direct up or down is far less of a problem. 

Yeah I agree, I have problematic exterior lights myself. The next ones, the light will be bellow the horizontal plane.

Archived