SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Local Police Recommend "Dusk 'till Dawn" LED Lights

Geoff Lister

I have just received this in a Neighbourhood Watch circular, including advice from my local police force's Crime Reduction Officer:-

"Review your exterior lighting (burglars do not like lights). If you currently use high wattage conventional lighting, think about switching to LED ‘dusk till dawn’ units. Bear in mind that bright lights create dark shadows, shadows that somebody can hide in. LED lights are very reliable and very cheap to run at about 1p a day.

It will depend on the situation but in the majority of locations we now recommend ‘dusk till dawn’ lighting over reactive lighting."

I, like most of my neighbours, have the 300/500W, or equivalent, motion-triggered (in)security lights. These come on for up to a couple of minutes as a cat or hedgehog passes through the gardens, but most of the time they are off. I observe from the patio to the rear of my house, in an area where the local houses shield me from the various street lights. If my neighbours adopt "dusk 'till dawn" lights, it is unlikely that I will have any shaded area that has a decent view of the night sky.

Has anyone else received similar advice from their local constabulary?

Geoff

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen something similar in neighbourhood watch leaflets.

If burglars don't have light how they gonna see?

It's the old monkey fear of nocturnal predators, of which the only ones around here have no better senses than anyone else.

38 minutes ago, spillage said:

I would forward or scan a copy to the dark skies commission. 

I tried, but I found that their web site contact form did not have an attachment facility. I tried to use their form, but I am not conviced that the message, including a link to the document, got through.

We got one from the local councillor saying the same thing.

When I pointed out that studies say the opposite he asked why the local kids congretate outside the local Co-op and the comunity centre I pointed out thats where the lights are .

he did not get back to me after that :evil6:

They do have a facebook and twitter page. I bet the local plod have one to.

But you know what I think we are all wrong. We should all leave a light on for the local burglar at night time. You do know if the burglar trips over those things left in your garden in the dark you will get sued. So light on door open and a plate of biscuits left out. After all the local law breakers have more rights than us so our hobbies must always come second.

22 minutes ago, spillage said:

They do have a facebook and twitter page. I bet the local plod have one to.

But you know what I think we are all wrong. We should all leave a light on for the local burglar at night time. You do know if the burglar trips over those things left in your garden in the dark you will get sued. So light on door open and a plate of biscuits left out. After all the local law breakers have more rights than us so our hobbies must always come second.

That is a sad reflection on where we are as a society;
however the burglar would only be protected if you left things to deliberately hurt them such as a man trap, razor wire or a covered hole or the like.

15 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Another plus for solar astronomy!    :icon_biggrin:

Indeed it is Peter, warmer too most of the year.

44 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

We got one from the local councillor saying the same thing.

When I pointed out that studies say the opposite he asked why the local kids congretate outside the local Co-op and the comunity centre I pointed out thats where the lights are .

he did not get back to me after that :evil6:

That made me laugh, typical local councillor type of comment.

42 minutes ago, Alan White said:

That is a sad reflection on where we are as a society;
however the burglar would only be protected if you left things to deliberately hurt them such as a man trap, razor wire or a covered hole or the like.

Indeed it is Peter, warmer too most of the year.

most yes - but I can remember togging up quite a bit while grabbing some winter sun.

It's like shops and offices leaving all their lights on over night. If you see someone in the building then you assume they have authority to be there. If the lights were turned off then chummy would have to use a torch and that would draw attention to themselves. Same with people's gardens. As mentioned earlier, studies have shown that chummy loves light because it means they can see what they are doing and exactly what you've got!

The police are always saying that the perception of crime is far higher that the actual amount and then they send out paranoid propaganda like this!

What with dawn to dusk LEDs and the low cost I would say the battle against lights in towns and cities is well and truly lost or soon will be. Best thing is to find a dark site within a reasonable distance from home. 

A couple of weeks ago, one of the national rags had a centre-page spread showing how to make "your garden glow" at night. Every nook and cranny of your garden should be lit up like a Christmas tree. What chance have we skywatchers when the press encourages this level of nocturnal philistinism?

I find all this thing about lights in the garden very stupid. Nevertheless, I can accept if one wants to illuminate his/her own garden. What I don't is when the lights of this neighbour broadly illuminates at least 4-5 other gardens! 

Aside from this burglar paranoia, these lights should have a lateral shield so that their illumination is restricted to one specific area. 

I used to be able to happily observe DSOs from my back garden, now I can't. I have to hop in the car, but I am fortunate at least to have a reasonable spot 15mins away.  I used to be able to pop out the back with my 10" dob while still being around to mind the kids if they wake up.

Local street and insecurity lights have put an end to it unfortunately.  At least I gain a good southern horizon when I drive down to the coast.  Just can't get out as often now.

+1 for solar observing - although I still have to shut out the ambient light for Ha ;)

If you were up to no good would you go about at night when houses are likely to full or in the daytime when the opposite is true? I'd get the Daily Mail on the case, remind people that light at night is in the same category as passive smoking when it comes to cancer... not to mention the effect on wildlife... what's left of it.

PEterW

On 27/09/2017 at 15:57, Geoff Lister said:

I tried, but I found that their web site contact form did not have an attachment facility. I tried to use their form, but I am not conviced that the message, including a link to the document, got through.

I've forwarded a link to this thread to a CfDS member who belongs to my local astro group. I'll speak to him at the astro meeting on Tuesday.

Archived