Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way Mosaic - From Auriga to Scutum

Here's one of my images from my latest trip down to Cornwall, a very wide mosaic of the Milky Way.

23485873218_dcb3c0bc95_k.jpg

Taken with my Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens on my unmodded 700D, it's a series of 4 minute exposures stitched together in Microsoft ICE. Here's the approximate field of view from Stellarium.

37290133946_698dac6105_h.jpg

ICE is great for easy mosaics but for the best results you need to convert the RAW files into .tif before stitching - otherwise ICE drops back into 8 bit mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to annotate the image please?

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Atreta said:

I gave it a try, this was the best i could do. 

It gets duplicated solves where the cuts were made, but looks good.

Thanks very much for giving this a go, while there are a few mismatches it's come out well and gives a good sense of the coverage. I'm not surprised the plate-solving software is struggling, I adjusted the projection in Microsoft ICE slightly.

On 02/10/2017 at 21:13, StargeezerTim said:

Beautiful! I'm a little jealous as I've just had nine cloudy, rainy and windy nights in North Devon :hmh:.

Sorry to hear that. I've had a good run of luck with my Cornwall trips but no doubt it will come to an end at some point.

That's a lovely mosaic. Easy to spot M31, double cluster, Pleiades, California Nebula (nice red colour) and North America Nebula. Lots of other interesting objects to identify. Would be interesting to identify the most prominent dark nebulae. :) 

Archived