Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1/2 2 panel mosaic of Eastern Viel HOO

Rodd

TOA 130 @ F7.7, STT-8300 and Astrodon 3nm Ha and OIII filters.  15 30 min subs in Ha and 15 30 min subs in OIII. Hopefully I will be able to collect the OIII for the tail end of the Eastern Veil.  I am still trying to decide if I should include SII in the image.  

Final-2a-hist.thumb.jpg.585771fe2718d32892dc8245dd281cb0.jpg

8 hours ago, Rodd said:

No one has any constructive criticism?  If Hunter is right--or even half right, a few likes would be warranted.  Hard to fathom.  

Rodd

Hi Rodd

I think it's worth remembering that some people view posts using the Unread Content button which means if there has been enough posts then your post could already have fallen off the bottom of the page before it's noticed. I hadn't seen it until today as it never appeared in the top page. I always try to look at any image posted as I just love looking at them :)

Back on topic, I like you first image better. the blues are more delicate whereas they seem to overpower the image in the second. I can't wait to see the full mosaic. I'm also wondering whether different bi-colour palettes might also make a difference? I'm just on the verge of buying an OIII filter so I'll be entering the world of true narrowband imaging. I think I'm going to have to search for examples of combining H and O in different palettes to see which I prefer (and it's entirely personal preference). The blue/red combination feels too extreme for me :)

5 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

There was no image when i looked rodd. Then i had another look and there was two. Hard to know what to like or comment on. I'll look forward to the finished product.

there are 2 is because the first garnered 0 comments and was soon to drop off the first page.  So I figured there must be something wrong with it, made some changes and posted another. Didn't help.  So I figured I ask why......still trying to understand the forum.

Rodd

24 minutes ago, Filroden said:

Hi Rodd

I think it's worth remembering that some people view posts using the Unread Content button which means if there has been enough posts then your post could already have fallen off the bottom of the page before it's noticed. I hadn't seen it until today as it never appeared in the top page. I always try to look at any image posted as I just love looking at them :)

Back on topic, I like you first image better. the blues are more delicate whereas they seem to overpower the image in the second. I can't wait to see the full mosaic. I'm also wondering whether different bi-colour palettes might also make a difference? I'm just on the verge of buying an OIII filter so I'll be entering the world of true narrowband imaging. I think I'm going to have to search for examples of combining H and O in different palettes to see which I prefer (and it's entirely personal preference). The blue/red combination feels too extreme for me :)

This target is most commonly depicted in Ha-OIII (red blue), but it certainly can be done in the SHO palette (Hubble Palette).  Good luck with NB imaging.  I find it far easier than LRGB as the filters are much less prone to picking up light pollution and Moonlight.  My NB subs look pretty good right from the camera  where my LRGB subs look horrendous until calibrated.  And even then there are often big gradients and low SNR.

The above image never fell off the first page.  Once they do, I let them go and do not try and revive it.  I just thought the image was fairly decent and based upon other reactions to similar targets posted around the same time I expected some comments, or a few likes at least.  I guess there is a personal element to the forum dynamics.

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

The above image never fell off the first page.  Once they do, I let them go and do not try and revive it.  I just thought the image was fairly decent and based upon other reactions to similar targets posted around the same time I expected some comments, or a few likes at least.  I guess there is a personal element to the forum dynamics.

Posts very quickly drop of the unread content list as it covers every section of the forum. I always make an effort to check our your images as I know they will always be impressive. Just this post seemed to be elusive. That combination of me only checking in occasionally and the small number of posts you received just means I missed it (and hopefully I've not missed any others).

I think playing with colour palettes are one of the things I'm looking forward to. I love bold colour images - I'd happily map Ha and O to orange and green just because I can :)

Like you, I love the quality of my Ha subs right out of the camera. They only need minimal stretching and noise reduction and are good to go. I struggle with LRGB. I also get terrible gradients but I just don't have enough experience with DBE in PixInsight to handle them. Whereas I look at yours and can only saw "wow". PI seems to have introduced a new localised normalisation module that might help address large scale gradients even before doing DBE so once I've seen some tutorials I'm hoping it will help.

3 minutes ago, Filroden said:

Posts very quickly drop of the unread content list as it covers every section of the forum. I always make an effort to check our your images as I know they will always be impressive. Just this post seemed to be elusive. That combination of me only checking in occasionally and the small number of posts you received just means I missed it (and hopefully I've not missed any others).

I think playing with colour palettes are one of the things I'm looking forward to. I love bold colour images - I'd happily map Ha and O to orange and green just because I can :)

Like you, I love the quality of my Ha subs right out of the camera. They only need minimal stretching and noise reduction and are good to go. I struggle with LRGB. I also get terrible gradients but I just don't have enough experience with DBE in PixInsight to handle them. Whereas I look at yours and can only saw "wow". PI seems to have introduced a new localised normalisation module that might help address large scale gradients even before doing DBE so once I've seen some tutorials I'm hoping it will help.

I did not realize there was a section that deals with every section of the forum....When I am not dabbling in lunar I pretty much stick to the deep sky page.  That could indeed have something to do with it.

The photometric color calibration/background neutralization tool works pretty well.  There are allot of settings but you don't have to change many of them.  I can't say it does away with DBE.  My biggest problem with DBE is when there is no visible background--which happens quite frequently when shooting nebula at longer focal lengths.  I am never sure where to place my points in that situation.

Rodd

Excellent images Rodd.  I myself prefer the 2nd one.  Has contrast and makes things pop out more then the 1st.  I don't have a whole lot of luck with my posts either here sometimes, there is such a high volume of posts sometimes they get lost in the mix.  Keep posting em, a lot of times, people just run through all the topics posted to see everything. 

12 minutes ago, Rudeviewer said:

Excellent images Rodd.  I myself prefer the 2nd one.  Has contrast and makes things pop out more then the 1st.  I don't have a whole lot of luck with my posts either here sometimes, there is such a high volume of posts sometimes they get lost in the mix.  Keep posting em, a lot of times, people just run through all the topics posted to see everything. 

Thanks Zach.  

Archived