Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

wookie1965    1,340

It`s a nightmare I have got wood and some black vinyl to make a shield to try and block at least the light where I set up just got to find  a way put it up and be able take it down after the session.

Stu    14,455
1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

It`s a nightmare I have got wood and some black vinyl to make a shield to try and block at least the light where I set up just got to find  a way put it up and be able take it down after the session.

Have you seen Nick's clothes line/blankets and clothes prop solution? Seems quite effective.

wookie1965    1,340
Just now, Stu said:

Have you seen Nick's clothes line/blankets and clothes prop solution? Seems quite effective.

Yes Stu went to his house however I am going to have to put the shield about another 8 foot so need to pin the wood to the fence and then be able take it down again.

20171012_120532.jpg

Galen Gilmore    419

That is a really bright one! *feels bad man*

I am surrounded by street lamps, but I am lucky enough to have surrounding trees blocking most of the light. But the trees don't block out any light on my side yard, it's completely unusable for astronomy.

But I was lucky enough that over the summer the light that was most problematic blew a fuse! (nice!) Until they fixed it :(

Best of luck.

• Like 1

wookie1965    1,340

Well this is where I view from the council have been out today and changed the bulb from a white one to this orange one still bright and no chance of viewing from here. 

20171012_210148.jpg

Moonshane    9,795

I feel for you buddy. 

Could you make a lower shield that is closer to you? Or maybe a fan shape attached to the fence?

• Like 1

wookie1965    1,340
20 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I feel for you buddy. 

Could you make a lower shield that is closer to you? Or maybe a fan shape attached to the fence?

That's what I'm thinking Shane some kind of shield, I have wood and some vinyl just need a way of attaching to the fence and able to take it down after a session. 

Stu    14,455
2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

That's what I'm thinking Shane some kind of shield, I have wood and some vinyl just need a way of attaching to the fence and able to take it down after a session. 

As Shane says Paul, if you could position the shield closer to your observing spot, it would not have to be a tall as if it is attached to the fence. Might be easier?

• Like 1

Moonshane    9,795

Alternatively move closer to the fence but accept you lose some sky. At least you can observe 😊

Good luck whatever you try

• Like 1

Moonshane    9,795

As daft as it sounds a umbrella or two possibly adapted with some thicker material and held to the fence with a clamp might work.

• Like 1

DeepSkyBagger    279

My problem wasn't as bad as that, and is cured now by an LED replacement, but I used two of those extendable clothes-line props with a cord between them and a black poly-tarpaulin over the rope. I attached clips to the fence and the clothes props just clipped into them. It was quick and easy. Best of luck.

• Like 1

wookie1965    1,340
1 hour ago, DeepSkyBagger said:

My problem wasn't as bad as that, and is cured now by an LED replacement, but I used two of those extendable clothes-line props with a cord between them and a black poly-tarpaulin over the rope. I attached clips to the fence and the clothes props just clipped into them. It was quick and easy. Best of luck.

What clips did you use please.