SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Spoiled view

wookie1965

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. So, so sorry. That's absolutely ridiculous. Why does the night need to be illuminated to such an extent? What purpose does it serve?

I've also always wondered why street lighting needs to have light sources at such brief intervals. Extinguish two out of three five out of six lights and you can still see perfectly well.

I hope you can get it removed. Maybe suggest that if it must remain, it is converted to low energy LED with the sort of shade that directs it downward. 

It's crazy they've done that... where is their commitment to battle pollution? Light is a form of pollution and your council should have an environmental policy somewhere!! 

It's a weird thing, where my son lives there aren't any streetlights, it's a couple of villages on the edge of Birmingham and Halesowen... Everytime someone mentions installing them, there is uproar! The thing is Burglars actually like lighting as they can see what they are doing, all that light prevents crime can be disputed I suspect. On the flip side though a well placed light down an alleyway or subway is sometimes required and a comfort for those having to walk the routes. However, that monster outside your back garden is ridiculous...

First job to contact your council and complain!! 

Something similar to that was installed in a school car park across the street from us and left on all night despite the car park being empty. I had a chat to the Head Teacher and the programmer was changed so that the light went out at 8:00 pm plus a shade was added to the light.

As I result of that discussion I ended up doing an outreach session at the school on solar observing which was fun so definitely a "win: win" result there.

It is worth communicating these issues to the relevent department of your local authority and your photo's plus your neighbours experiences would add strongly to your case I'm sure.

Just don't tell them you are an astronomer.

Just say that it is destroying your sleep pattern, (that normally works). That's what I told my local authority and they said they would change the light diffuser unit on top... and I'm still waiting... yawn!

6 hours ago, Philip R said:

Just don't tell them you are an astronomer.

Just say that it is destroying your sleep pattern, (that normally works). That's what I told my local authority and they said they would change the light diffuser unit on top... and I'm still waiting... yawn!

"that normally works" "... and I'm still waiting..." :D I love it!

How many places do you live? :p

<entertained for a week - thanks!>

Dave - <I think>

I think the problem where I am I the company that energy bills the council is the same one doing the installation so I think they installed the maximum they could using the over zealous EU guidelines. I can see 5 out the front all within distances from 5-30 yards and out the back 2.

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I think the problem where I am I the company that energy bills the council is the same one doing the installation so I think they installed the maximum they could using the over zealous EU guidelines. I can see 5 out the front all within distances from 5-30 yards and out the back 2.

they are saving money because the wattage of leds are lower than the old sodium lights. However they could save more money if they used even lower wattage leds and pointed them downwards, maybe dimming them later in the night...the councils dont really think it through

Just seen this Paul, it's dreadful. Don't mention astronomy, to them in ivory towers, we're nuts.

Go for the light causing sleep deprivation. Don't get fobbed off with phone calls and minions.

Keep a written record of everything. Move up the ladder, councillor to mp.

Just can't credit they've been so stupid. Nobody deserves this, Nick.

You can well understand the anger and frustration when
these glaring lamps are suddenly erected in the worst possible places for certain folks.
However, and goes without saying some of the remedies proposed, serious or jokingly,
are not allowed to be voiced on the forum.
The only recourse for the afflicted, is to try their local council ombudsman, If such a person is available that is, and try 
to get a shield of sorts fitted.  We have to remember, that light means security for some people, they feel safer than they would  in the dark.
Some councils have been known to have lamps shielded when asked to do so. It's worth the effort to try them.
Please do not suggest remedies that may land you in some trouble, however angry you feel.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE  Had snotty council person saying that the light does not fall on the upper story of my property so does not warrant a shroud, however it is too bright for the lower story and will get them to replace the bulb with a smaller wattage one. He said it is not a nuisance as street lighting does not come under the legislation. He said that we will have a LED light there in the next 6 months and will include a side mounted light shield. Mt argument is if he is proposing to fit said shield why can they not fit this one with one. The man who came out to the light to check what wattage the bulb was shocked when I showed him the picture from the bedroom, I have emailed this to the council snotty ****** he said he will look at it but does not see it changing his mind. 

I am now planning on making a sheild I can attach to my fence to block the light out when viewing just weighing up the best way to do it.   

They've been doing the streetlights where I live too, however I think it's too early to pass judgment, I'll need a transparent moonless night. From what I've seen so far, they may have made the problem worse, even though the tops of the houses look darker.

Archived