SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC7822 & Co aka the ? - wide field before and after flip

gorann

Some of you may have seen my post yesterday of this object in wide field taken with the 135mm Samyang (@ f/2) and a Canon 70D (unmodded). That same night I run the camera both before and after the meridian flip but the framing then became quite different (I focused on maintaining the framing of the 5" refractor sitting side by side and had no separate control of the Samyang). So, I decided to process the data from after the flip separately as I had quite a large number of exposures to keep the S/N ratio high and did not want to do a major crop. When I now processed the data I collected after the flip (81 x 1 min at ISO1600), I more or less consciously put more emphasis on bringing out any surrounding nebulosity and not suppressing the star filed, and the result is remarkably different. I post the image from after the flip (top) and before the flip (bottom = same as I posted recently).

Maybe it shows that I am not very consistent in my processing and run more on inspiration than a consistent workflow. Maybe I should be worried about this?

Stacking in Nebulosity 4 and processing in PS CS5.

Do you guys also like the top image better? I think I do - at least right now.

IMG9572-9653 PS10sign.jpg

IMG9468-9569 PS20sign.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Impactcrater!

Why not become a photographer yourself?

These photographs were taken with a relatively inexpensive telephoto lens and camera, and you do not need an expensive mount for such short exposures (the one I use is certainly overkill for this short focal length but I need it for my larger scopes).

15 hours ago, impactcrater said:

Firstly , I need the skies of Sweden or I have to go to what Australians call the Never Never which is the desert country where the Southern Skies are just amazing...I still have not been there . 

I am sure you could find some relatively dark skies closer than that. This forum is full of amazing shots from more or less urban areas in Europe. One worse problem for you could be the heat that causes quite a bit of noise in un-cooled cameras like DSLRs. So, with that kind of equipment you will be better off in the winter or up in the mountains.

Cheers

Archived