Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

knobby

USB to serial adaptor for Win 10

Just spent 4 hours trying to get my USB to serial adaptor working ... no joy on windows 10, ended up finding my Dad's old win 7 laptop and worked straight away ! Until I tried updating my AVX mount firmware. Several blue screens of death later and a dead mount (working now though) decided probably best to ask what you lovely lot are using on Win 10.

Weirdly enough when reverting to a beta version of CFM it worked ok.

Just so flakey.

Edit. Should add, it's an AVX mount.

Edited by knobby

I bought this to use as my Win10 netbook didn't have an RS232 socket but never got it to work despite lots of fiddling.

Dave

59c819f9cbe4b_Startechadapter.PNG.87e6e60c6c8b21ec887914acb52acd30.PNG

20 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I bought this to use as my Win10 netbook didn't have an RS232 socket but never got it to work despite lots of fiddling.

Dave

59c819f9cbe4b_Startechadapter.PNG.87e6e60c6c8b21ec887914acb52acd30.PNG

Hmmmm, that not a serial to USB adapter, or am I missing something....? :) I thought the OP wanted a Serial to USB adapter

• Like 1

Serial connections are sometimes presented on RJ45 connectors, so it could in theory be the right sort of thing, but I suspect that is actually their USB3 to GigE adaptor.

James

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Serial connections are sometimes presented on RJ45 connectors, so it could in theory be the right sort of thing, but I suspect that is actually their USB3 to GigE adaptor.

James

Sold as serial to USB converter.

Dave

Fair enough then.  As I said, serial connections are sometimes presented on RJ45.  It's a lot less hassle than having to solder up a DB9, or perish the thought, a DB25.

James

33 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Fair enough then.  As I said, serial connections are sometimes presented on RJ45.  It's a lot less hassle than having to solder up a DB9, or perish the thought, a DB25.

James

Thanks James, looking at the 2 they look identical so may have been sent the wrong one, will dig it out and check tomorrow.

Dave

Confused, why would you want to use a serial adaptor on the guidescope ????

Anyway, I use the appropriate version of these (3.3v or 5v depending on mount requirements) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-TTL-Serial-RS232-Cable-6-Pin-ARM-PIC-Pi-Arduino-UK-Seller-/272677966648?epid=552640894&hash=item3f7cdf9338:g:FYUAAOSwlMFZHse- with and RJ45 connector on the end, (I ususally chop one end off an Ethernet patch cable & wire it into the adaptor)

& forgot to add that yes they work flawlessly with Windows 10\Ubuntu Mate etc....

Edited by Dr_Ju_ju

Just to clarify. It's the adaptor that allows the laptops USB to become a RS232 socket to plug the Celestron firmware cable into .

Lightbucket had the right idea (I've ordered one !)

To make this cable https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/serial-cable-for-skywatcher-and-celestron-mounts.html

Talk to a laptops USB .

Cheers all !

ps why do Celestron make firmware such a headache ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Anyone recommend a decent one as I'm having trouble getting the one I have to work..even thou it works on the guidescope!!

See my link above...!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Confused, why would you want to use a serial adaptor on the guidescope ????

I don't use it on the guidescope,I use it with the rs-232 cable to connect to the laptop from the handset..

The link you show isn't going to work as the serial connector has 9 pins..i presume they have their own wires..

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Just to clarify. It's the adaptor that allows the laptops USB to become a RS232 socket to plug the Celestron firmware cable into .

Lightbucket had the right idea (I've ordered one !)

To make this cable https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/serial-cable-for-skywatcher-and-celestron-mounts.html

Talk to a laptops USB .

Cheers all !

ps why do Celestron make firmware such a headache ?

I've got the rs232 cable..just need the adapter to make it connect to the usb as my laptop doesn't have a serial port

The one I use comes with a CD that has the driver. Worked straight out of the box.

One thing though - you may have to change the COM port setting. If you're not sure how let me know.

Tom.

3 hours ago, knobby said:

I wish I'd have seen that one ... It matches the AVX mount !

Ha! So it does :)

• Like 1