Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7822 & Co - Wide field and close up, side by side

gorann

Here is the wide field taken with the 135mm Samyang (@ f/2) sitting side by side with the 5" reflector (which simultaneously took the close up of NGC7822 that I previously posted). Not sure if this was the best object for a wide field since and it was a bit odd to process such an undersampled image (6.6 "/pixel) with so many stars. Still, I got it for "free" while I took the close up with the 5" apo.

I post also the close up for comparison.

Equipment: Samyang 135 f/2 with a Canon 70D (ISO 1600) side by side with a ES 127ED apo and a Canon 60Da. All on an EQ8 on a pier in the obsy. Guided with PHD2 and a SW80 with a QHY 5LIIM.

Exposures: Samyang 100 x 1 min. ES127  31 x 8 min (both at ISO1600)

Comments most welcome!

Cheers

IMG9468-9569 PS20sign.jpg

IMG2838-67PS39sign.jpg

1 hour ago, MartinFransson said:

Nice work on that combo! To be honest, I actually like the widefield more. Might have to get myself one of those Samyangs :)

Tack Martin!

yes, those Samyangs 135 are possibly the best. Somehow they have managed to get rid of almost all coma even at full opening (pixel peepers will see a tiny bit in the corners), and for a very reasonable price. Also, with an APS-C there is not much vignetting (some is there but in this case I did not see the need for the flats I took - a run of Gradient Exterminator was enough).

On 9/24/2017 at 21:39, MartinFransson said:

Nice work on that combo! To be honest, I actually like the widefield more. Might have to get myself one of those Samyangs :)

Martin,

I am thinking about putting a bid on an Canon EF 300/4L on ebay. Can you recommend it?

Cheers

Hej Ragnar & Tack!

Yes I am so impressed with that little lens, almost without coma at full aperture, but at the same time I am slightly overwhelmed when processing so many undersampled stars. Quite different from working on my telescope images. I am now letting it sit side by side with whatever scope I am using to get additional data to work on.  The Samyang can also grab some interesting images when my main scope is directed against far away galaxies with much less dense star fields, see this thread:

However, the Samyang is about to get a competitor. I am now waiting for a semi-wide field lens that I bought on ebay to arrive from Japan (the parcel tracking shows it is right now at Stockholm customs). It is a Canon EF 300mm F/4 L USM, which in some reviews is claimed to be the sharpest telephoto lens ever made by Canon and superior to the new and more expensive IS version that has a bunch of additional lenses in the light path for the image stabilization. I also think it is a bargain. It is supposedly in Excellent++ condition, so I hope to receive a near to new 75 mm f/4 apo refractor with a large fully flat field (made for full frame DSLRs) for about 500 Euro. And it only weighs about 1.3 kilo.

Archived