Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keeping 12v Cables tidy

Jkulin

In an effort to reduce down the absurd amount of cables all over the place and to keep to a budget, I'm making up a fused box to provide power to all of the devices, see the thread below: -

Now I think I have everything to make things up including waterproof connectors etc. but in order to keep things even tidier I want to mount the power box for up to 6 x 12v items and have a four way dew controller incorporated into it.

Currently I have a home made 3 way dew controller which attaches to the side of my mount with self adhesive velcro, but if I make it four way, then one of the feeds can be used for powering my EL panel, which I currently have to unplug at the end of the session to use.

I realise it will have to be a reasonable size box of something like 15cm x 10cm x 6cm, but it needs to be interchangeable between my setups so that I just have to unhook and fit onto my other scope for imaging.

I have thought about cutting down a Vixen rail and bolting it to the side of the guide rings and then mount an ADM clamp to the underside of the box, which I am sure will do it nicely, but surely there must be a better way without having to buy expensive clamps.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi, sounds good to me

I built one a while back, mine has three waterproof cigar sockets, 4 x 2 pin screw on 12v conectors, which are superb, also I have a two channel 4 port dew controller, 7 port USB hub, 8v output for DSLR and 5v output for other items...all individually fused and fitted into an ABS box, I got the idea off someone else on here a couple of years ago...best thing I ever built to be honest, so you won’t regret it :)

Thanks, had a chat with my mate and he came up with using quick release cable ties to hold it to the OTA, cheap, easy and simple, and if it doesn't work then easy enough to go back to the original plan of a vixen rail with ADM or similar clamps.

I want this box to serve two purposes, a secure, safe option when imaging out in wet grass and have access to a main 12v supply and then a quick conversion to run off 12v batteries if I choose to go to a star party or image out in the wilderness.

The way that I cut down the size of the distribution box on the scope was to make up a PCB!  This isn't as scary as it sounds.  The main advantage of this method is that you then have a circuit board to mount the components too... the PCB mount versions of things tend to be smaller than the chassis mount version.  So you'll be able to pack things closer together, therefore using a smaller box.

This is the box that I have on the scope.  For this I made up a small PCB for the fuses, these provide protection for each of the 12V sockets.

post-46378-0-00601600-1441039513_thumb.png

This is the inside of the box that I use for the controller.  This feeds to the distribution box above.  This way the weight is kept off the mount, and the adjustments can be made without making the mount wobble.

post-46378-0-89763700-1442392199_thumb.jpg

Cheers for that, how are you fastening the box to the scope?

I have almost made the box yesterday with 4 way dew controllers, an 8 way fuse box with two bus bars, just trying to work out how I want the exit points, might just fit 2.1 sockets or if not enough space then straight out through watertight grommets.

On one side of the mount is my 8 port USB3 hub held on with Velcro which is fine, but the box is a little too big to be held on with double sided Velcro, thus why I am mounting on the Guide Scope.

I have bought to test some re-useable zip ties and some other re-useable Velcro fasteners, not sure how good they will be but worth a try.

Archived