SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What size telescope have you seen The Horsehead Nebula with?

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

PS I haven't researched the origin of the name but I bet nobody ever called it the Horsehead before the photographic era... :icon_mrgreen:

Tee hee :)

It's early name 'The little invisible notch nebula' has been lost to history ;) 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

PS I haven't researched the origin of the name but I bet nobody ever called it the Horsehead before the photographic era... :icon_mrgreen:

That is correct, but only because no-one even knew it existed before the photographic era - it was discovered photographically!

P.S. Never even tried the Horsehead - don't have a Hb filter so there isn't really any point.

43 minutes ago, harrym said:

That is correct, but only because no-one even knew it existed before the photographic era - it was discovered photographically!

P.S. Never even tried the Horsehead - don't have a Hb filter so there isn't really any point.

Don't be so sure. I've seen it with just a UHC. The H Beta was better but the difference wasn't enormous, in all honesty.

Olly

20 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Don't be so sure. I've seen it with just a UHC. The H Beta was better but the difference wasn't enormous, in all honesty.

Olly

I suspect I might need darker skies or a bigger scope though...

13 hours ago, Beulah said:

You say that in a casual way...as if it's as easy as finding the Moon. :D

Aah! but I said "points at it"......Not observes it ;) 

Finding it's location is easy.........observing it not so much. 

Conditions have to be good. They seldom are when we go observing :clouds2::D 

On 24/09/2017 at 09:51, John said:

I still think the best description of seeing the Horsehead Nebula was provided by Jeremy Perez on his excellent web site "The Belt of Venus":

A fascinating read John, thanks for the link☺.

I have enjoyed this chance encounter with the dark world of faint nebulae hunting..might even chase a few brighter ones this season with my little 5"!

Dave

Well I viewed the HH at Lucksall a few years back at a SGL star party - the one John referred to. I used a Skywatcher 16" Flextube, 19mm Panoptic EP and an Astronomik H.Beta. We used this diagram to pin point its exact location.

I only live a few miles from Lucksall and have similar skies. I tried for many years with my 10" Dob and 1000 Oaks H.Beta filter but was never successful. However, last winter I managed to view HH again from home with my 12" Dob.

I agree that if you fail to see the Flame try another night for the HH.

HH.location.jpg

The C11 (with a focal reducer) from the AstroFarm in Confolens France. Easily seen, large and obvious with a 25mm Plossl. 

My kind observing buddy in Seething had tried for weeks to show me Barnards 33 in her scope without any success. I felt with my eyesight we were "flogging a dead horse".

Was so much easier in the smaller aperture scope from the darker, clearer skies of France. Well worth the visit.

Chris

Archived