Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 Andromeda Galaxy

UKJay1971

This is first light on my newly modded Canon 100D, taken from my light polluted backl garden in Wakefield. It's been 6 months since I began imaging and I'm pretty chuffed to finally get onto Andromeda. I do have an issue with some odd streaking (zoom on on a border on the spiral or in the background). I get also get it on my Altair 178c and on all my scopes so I can't put my finger on what is causing it other than light polluted skies - any ideas?

100 x 180secs, 30 darks, 20 flats

37222859756_4cef0ffe1e_k.jpgM31 Andromeda Galaxy by Jay Bolt, on Flickr

11 minutes ago, UKJay1971 said:

This is first light on my newly modded Canon 100D, taken from my light polluted backl garden in Wakefield. It's been 6 months since I began imaging and I'm pretty chuffed to finally get onto Andromeda. I do have an issue with some odd streaking (zoom on on a border on the spiral or in the background). I get also get it on my Altair 178c and on all my scopes so I can't put my finger on what is causing it other than light polluted skies - any ideas?

100 x 180secs, 30 darks, 20 flats

37222859756_4cef0ffe1e_k.jpgM31 Andromeda Galaxy by Jay Bolt, on Flickr

I used to get this streaking, and once I started dithering my exposures it disappeared. If you can do this it'll also do wonders for overall noise.

Thats a fabulous image..

Nice image. The streaks are called walking noise. They're caused by residual hot/warm pixels that were not removed during image calibration. Darks, or a hot pixel map can help. So can cosmetic correction in dss or pixinsight. You can avoid them by dithering (= moving the fov slightly between exposures) during data collection. For cmos osc sensors, dither 12+ pixels in ra and dec.

Thanks for the comments :)

Wakefield has some of the worst light pollution in the UK (surrounded by other major towns / cities plus the M1 / M62 motorways. I use a CLS filter in my DSLR (just bought a CLS CCD 2" filter to notch some more LP bands out), and also stack a lot more images - this is 100. To draw out the data, I used a series of masked stretches that allowed the outer spirals to be stretched while progressively protecting the core. The most important skill I have learned was how to use masks in processing.

50 minutes ago, John78 said:

Oh, and to re-confirm the other answer in the thread with a cmos camera you want dithering when shooting, 0 darks and sigma clipping when stacking and master bias as dark.

See this was what I wasn't sure about. Do you use the master bias as an actual dark in DSS or just as a bias and use 0 darks in DSS or use Bias in both bias and darks ?

Archived