SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cable Bay wide field milky way

So on Thursday i ventured down to Anglesey. i chose cable bay because i had promised a friend who is in a wheelchair that i would help him see and capture the milkyway. this bay has a carpark right next to the beach so it was ideal timing for the milky way core. i met him there as he messaged me earlier saying he'd forgot about a school meeting.  there was a little bit of fluffy cloud about but that soon went away and i went scouting for a location.  

we found a chamber and i asked him if he was able to make it there and he said "we'll make it work" i had brought a big folding camping chair so equipped with my camera bag skywatcher staradventure mount bag and camping chair we made our way to the chamber. its about a 10 min walk but took us nearly 25 min to reach it.  it was a little bit exposed but i found a dip in the ground which allowed some shelter for the cameras and we started snapping away. 

Ste wanted to head back and get a MW shot of just the sea and MW as he wants to use it for composite shots in the future  so we made our way back and he set him self up and started snapping asking if he was ok i made my way 100meters down the grasses and set up for a shot i had visioned. sadly the wind was howling and my grasses kept blurring but theres an excuse for another trip out. 

ste's hip was hurting and i could tell he didnt want to go home but he called it a night at 11PM and headed home hopefully with some shots in the bag he hasnt looked yet hes planning on doing it tomorrow. 

me Baz and my friend Chirs then had a brew some food and talked about where to head next. we decided on Penmon as its a nice place to lay our head. when we arrived there was no wind on this side of the island and with the sky being so clear we set up the cameras to image Cygnus (as seen in my other post) not long after setting up a huge green fireball streaked past cygnus and for the next few hours there was plenty going on.

Chris was fascinated by how much me and Barry new about astronomy so we explained our past ie telescopes DOB MOB etc etc so we stayed up will around 3AM chatting taking turns on my sky watcher mount. 

one of the best trips ive had out doing astro for a long time and i think it will be hard to beat. 

37411470815_30a57238b5_c.jpgmilkyway sea mist by Danny Kenealy, on Flickr

37201475146_b164c7101b_c.jpgSecret chamber by Danny Kenealy, on Flickr

Great pics Daniel, and a fantastic location too. You must have been trained on Skye with the DOB gang perhaps.
Turning into quite a popular Band Of Brothers they are. 
I'll pay tribute to your helping your friend too, who is an Astronomy fan, that terrain must have been difficult to
cover in a wheelchair. Bravery doesn't always win medals, but these pictures fill that omission. Well deserved success.

Archived