SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PHD2 - "Calibration: Complete, but..."

jschusterman

Hey all, finally got some guiding going last night, but at the bottom right of PHD2, the word "CAL" is yellow (as opposed to green) and says "Calibration: Completed, but scope pointing info not available/not in-use"

Does this mean PHD2/SSAG isn't sending data to the mount, or the mount isn't accepting the pushes? It's an AVX mount, and my PHD2 graph isn't great, but RA and Dec stay within about 3" either way. But I can't tell if guiding is doing anything to the mount, or if my images are turning out ok simply because of decent polar alignment and just tracking. Any ideas what the above text means?

- Josh

I believe that this means you are guiding through the camera using ST4 and you don't have an auxiliary mount connection (eg. over ASCOM) which would give PHD2 the pointing information.  If you don't move miles away from the point where you calibrated (eg. other side of the meridian) then I think you're probably OK.

It sounds like my set up Josh. For me RA and DEC can give upto 3" and i am managing 5min subs with no star trailing. The CAL light dosent go green. I use a SSAG with the AVX mount using st-4 cable. I have not attempted to longer exposure times as yet. Also make sure you calibrate with every new object. I even re-calibrate on same object on different nights as i have to set up each time. 

As for PA i use a polemaster which i think is sufficient, However others may disagree :) 

Archived