SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Have I got an Eyepiece Obsession going on?

Alan White

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess one definition of obsessive is where you have to have full sets of particular eyepiece ranges even if that might mean duplication with other ranges you have. I have been guilty in the past with Tele Vue plossls, Nagler Type 6's and the Ethos range but I think I've got a little control back now, sort of :rolleyes2:

14 minutes ago, John said:

I guess one definition of obsessive is where you have to have full sets of particular eyepiece ranges even if that might mean duplication with other ranges you have. I have been guilty in the past with Tele Vue plossls, Nagler Type 6's and the Ethos range but I think I've got a little control back now, sort of :rolleyes2:

If it feels good, John - do it!

My collection grew "organically", so I never even thought about getting a complete range.  Until now................

Doug.

20 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

If it feels good, John - do it!

My collection grew "organically", so I never even thought about getting a complete range.  Until now................

Doug.

STOP right there Doug!     

Or have you just won the lottery ?

I have 30. 3 decades of scopes, scrapped or sold or still have - but the eye pieces remain in various places & states of use. 

RKE, Erfle, Plossl, Ortho, & particular makes. Only the Vixen LVW range (8) do I own in entirety. 

About half are pre-owned, others bought new. 

It's not collectionist (OK maybe LVWs), but the quest for best!

So; 5mm, 7mm & 10mm XW, 13, 22 LVW, 17.5 Nikon, 35mm TV Panoptic & 42mm LVW are my top optics. All modestly wide AFOV. All have eye relief suited to my spectacles. All are comfy viewing. 

A good backup range for another scope & a less expensive field bag with more mediocre eps, so ruling out 1 missing & a couple others, all have a place & purpose. :)

8 hours ago, 25585 said:

I have 30. 3 decades of scopes, scrapped or sold or still have - but the eye pieces remain in various places & states of use. 

RKE, Erfle, Plossl, Ortho, & particular makes. Only the Vixen LVW range (8) do I own in entirety. 

About half are pre-owned, others bought new. 

It's not collectionist (OK maybe LVWs), but the quest for best!

So; 5mm, 7mm & 10mm XW, 13, 22 LVW, 17.5 Nikon, 35mm TV Panoptic & 42mm LVW are my top optics. All modestly wide AFOV. All have eye relief suited to my spectacles. All are comfy viewing. 

A good backup range for another scope & a less expensive field bag with more mediocre eps, so ruling out 1 missing & a couple others, all have a place & purpose. :)

The LVW was a very public Obsession, but quite interesting to watch.

Had I realised you had the shorter FL Pentax XW I would have asked why buy the LVW in shorter FL? 

But then as I said in my first line it was a public obsession,

and nothing wrong with that at all, just a bit time consuming and costly.

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

The LVW was a very public Obsession, but quite interesting to watch.

Had I realised you had the shorter FL Pentax XW I would have asked why buy the LVW in shorter FL? 

But then as I said in my first line it was a public obsession,

and nothing wrong with that at all, just a bit time consuming and costly.

:hiding:Yeah too much. The LVW eps I use most are 22, 17 & 13. 42 is good finder ep which I prefer to my TV 55 Plossl. The others as you correctly say are not necessary. However I use some with a filter so swapping same fl eps is equivalent to dialing-in UHC or OIII, then out again. 

Value for money, the LVWs are great, optically I have yet to regret buying any. Choosing a doublet 120 over a triplet (always most likely), saved enough to make the LVWs fit my kit budget. 

1 minute ago, 25585 said:

:hiding:Yeah too much. The LVW eps I use most are 22, 17 & 13. 42 is good finder ep which I prefer to my TV 55 Plossl. The others as you correctly say are not necessary. However I use some with a filter so swapping same fl eps is equivalent to dialing-in UHC or OIII, then out again. 

Value for money, the LVWs are great, optically I have yet to regret buying any. Choosing a doublet 120 over a triplet (always most likely), saved enough to make the LVWs fit my kit budget. 

I love my 22 LVW and am keeping an eye for a 17 and 13, but used and at a sensible price.
Biding my time, like I did with the 22mm.

Just now, Alan White said:

I love my 22 LVW and am keeping an eye for a 17 and 13, but used and at a sensible price.
Biding my time, like I did with the 22mm.

Saw a 13 on ebay. Might be 17s around as it's a popular FL. 22 is the treasure of them all, the Arkenstone eye piece! (TV Delos & Delite range I think deliberately stopped just below their T4 22mm. 

6 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Saw a 13 on ebay. Might be 17s around as it's a popular FL. 22 is the treasure of them all, the Arkenstone eye piece! (TV Delos & Delite range I think deliberately stopped just below their T4 22mm. 

I think for the TV Delos in particular, TV couldn't fit the necessary field lens for a 22mm inside a 1.25" barrel.  Something similar happened with the 17mm Nagler T4.  Even though the field stop fits inside a 1.25" barrel, the necessary field lens which lies before the internal field stop needed to be bigger than the inside of a 1.25" to achieve the levels of correction and lack of vignetting Al Nagler demanded.  Thus, the 17mm NT4 is a 2" only eyepiece.  The 22mm Delos would probably have to be 2" only as well.

3 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I think for the TV Delos in particular, TV couldn't fit the necessary field lens for a 22mm inside a 1.25" barrel.  Something similar happened with the 17mm Nagler T4.  Even though the field stop fits inside a 1.25" barrel, the necessary field lens which lies before the internal field stop needed to be bigger than the inside of a 1.25" to achieve the levels of correction and lack of vignetting Al Nagler demanded.  Thus, the 17mm NT4 is a 2" only eyepiece.  The 22mm Delos would probably have to be 2" only as well.

That makes sense. My Orion LER 20mm 80 deg is 2 inch, the smaller in that range 1.25. 

IMG_20171120_134231.jpg

IMG_20171120_133648.jpg

I suppose I can look upon my Astigmatic eyes as a bit of a blessing then, when it comes to ECD (now an officially recognised acronym - Eyepiece Compulsion Disorder... lol).  At the moment my eyepiece collection is extremely modest, mainly due to all the nice pretty astro kit I need, currently prioritised above eyepieces.  I am however on the hunt for a 2” 2.5x Powermate.  My ambition is to have full set of Delos/Delois?  Never can decide on a correct collective noun for the Delos range.

My current collection is:

TV Nagler T4 17 and 22mm - These are my observing workhorses, quality glass from a previous generation, but so comfortable to use with my eye glasses.

TV 32mm Plossl - Courtesy of  Moonshane, and my primary goto eyepiece at the start of an observing session, always amazes me, the clarity in this modest piece of glass ?

Baader 13mm Hyperion - The first eyepiece I bought independently of my scope.

Celestron 40mm Plossl (stock eyepiece with 8” EdgeHD).

Baader 2.5x Shorty Barlow

that being said, my re- introduction to this hobby after a 30yr hiatus is still pretty new, about 3 years so a lot of tme left for the malady to strike with its full punitive ‘constructive’ force?

Paul.

Four widefield (30mm, 24mm 2", 26mm, 18mm 11/4"); six orthos (34, 25, 16, 10, 6, 4mm); Baader Hyperion Mk III and Seben 8-24 zooms; UWA 20, 9, 6mm; makes fifteen in use. Four vintage Plössl and Erfle in retirement. Two barlows (Zeiss Abbe 2x; Baader 2,25x). No addiction/obsession, just an organically grown collection over 48 years. No green-black ones.

Stephan

17 hours ago, DeepSkyMan said:

ECD (now an officially recognised acronym - Eyepiece Compulsion Disorder.

Oh yes indeed.

Highly contagious though, often spread through Internet forum contact or star party shared viewing!

Only known cure is purchase of vast swathes of exotic glass to then return to a set of Plossl or sadly bankruptcy!

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

Oh yes indeed.

Highly contagious though, often spread through Internet forum contact or star party shared viewing!

Only known cure is purchase of vast swathes of exotic glass to then return to a set of Plossl or sadly bankruptcy!

I am cured! In fact selling some hopefully. 

Plossls - only have 3; the 25 that came with my dob, TV 32 & 55. 

What I need more of are cases :D

1 minute ago, 25585 said:

Will do ASA my cold goes & there is a starry sky. 

Hope you get well before Christmas.  I once suffered through the worst case of the flu on Christmas day.  I isolated myself from everyone else at the house because I couldn't stop hacking up a lung and didn't want to get anyone sick and ruin their holidays.  It was a memorable Christmas, but for the wrong reasons.

Archived