Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have I got an Eyepiece Obsession going on?

Alan White

Those Nagler zooms are fine little eyepieces :smiley:

My 2-4mm showed the moons of Uranus and Neptune more easily than any other of my eyepieces a few nights back. I don't use it at 2mm much but the other click stops certainly earn their keep.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Alan White said:

So in summary to my question;
I have no problem and clearly need more eyepieces, wonderful news :icon_biggrin:

The only serious problem we all face is the weather! At least here in the UK!

:D

45 minutes ago, John said:

Those Nagler zooms are fine little eyepieces :smiley:

My 2-4mm showed the moons of Uranus and Neptune more easily than any other of my eyepieces a few nights back. I don't use it at 2mm much but the other click stops certainly earn their keep.

They do have a real appeal to me, but I keep missing out when they come up used.
It's on the one day list.

18 hours ago, iPeace said:

That will take some doing, as I have split the collection for use with different scopes in different locations - but I'll get on it.

:happy11:

Its what I do. Shorter fl for the Genesis & a long as finder. Long for my C8 only. Bresser dob long to mid fl - smallest used is 17.5 Nikon. 

Vis-a-vis unused items, I doubt if that is ever the starting plan, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I guess most people on this site have a few redundant items or abandoned projects lurking in the garage/ observatory, but time, circumstances, work, whatever, get in the way. My Ethos collection is criminally under-used but I would not sell unless absolutely necessary, especially looking at the cost of replacing them new..the secondhand prices are now fetching more than what I paid new in most cases. But having the things in front of me  engenders a sense of both guilt and hope..at least the resources are still there to be used given the motivation to try!

I'm coming up to retirement and dreaming of a time when I will have the opportunity to devote a lot more time to this hobby but I suspect the boss will prioritize "stargazing" below decorating, gardening, and all the other family commitments!

Like Ipeace I've moved to a lightweight set up - Naglers, Panoptics, TV plossls and a Delite. Only heavies I've kept are Leica zoom and Ethos 13. These EPs all fit into one case, but I need one and maybe two more binoviewing pairs for solar, which is going to play havoc with the EP case organisation. Considering Edmund Optics or Fujiyama 25mm orthos, Baader Classics 18mm, or maybe more plossls. A trip to Warwickshire for next month's astro show should sort things out.

IMG_0705.JPG

2 hours ago, John said:

"....trip to Warwickshire for next month's astro show should sort things out..."

Or make things worse :rolleyes2:

I'm going there too - must be disciplined though :angel:

Where I live there is no astro shop for many, many miles, which is a nuisance.  Or maybe a blessing......

Doug.

3 hours ago, Highburymark said:

A trip to Warwickshire for next month's astro show should sort things out.

Is that the IAS?  I'm guessing it's the UK equivalent to the US's NEAF?  I want to go to NEAF someday, but it's 1700 miles away from where I live in Texas.  My wallet would probably suffer terribly if I ever do make it there.

Warwick is closer to both London and Liverpool than I am to Dallas or Houston.  I guess England is quite compact by comparison to Texas let alone the US.

4 hours ago, DMcCombie said:

If you're buying for the sake of ownership, yes.

Then I guess all collectors have an obsessive compulsion.  The real question is, is that bad?  Perhaps wasteful of money if it is needed elsewhere, but a sign of mental illness?

19 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Is that the IAS?  I'm guessing it's the UK equivalent to the US's NEAF?  I want to go to NEAF someday, but it's 1700 miles away from where I live in Texas.  My wallet would probably suffer terribly if I ever do make it there.

Warwick is closer to both London and Liverpool than I am to Dallas or Houston.  I guess England is quite compact by comparison to Texas let alone the US.

Yes it's the IAS. The biggest show in the UK is Astrofest which happens in February in Kensington, London. In terms of area I believe that Texas is almost 3x as large as the whole of the UK. The blue outline I'm sure you will recognise Louis :smiley:

1427352656349037.jpg

5 hours ago, John said:

Yes it's the IAS. The biggest show in the UK is Astrofest which happens in February in Kensington, London. In terms of area I believe that Texas is almost 3x as large as the whole of the UK. The blue outline I'm sure you will recognise Louis :smiley:

1427352656349037.jpg

I guess that puts it in perspective.  I just get so used to the scale of Texas and the US that I can't fathom any other scale.  Man, you guys must be packed in tight.  No wonder not everyone lives in a 3500 square foot house on a quarter acre of land.  I always have to temper my astro recommendations with questions about having a car or truck or even a backyard.  It's pretty much assumed here in Texas, so I don't ask.  Recently, it's become trendy to buy expensive condos in downtown high rises to be close to nightlife.  Those folks are astro challenged here in Texas, but they're pretty much the exception rather than the rule.

It does have the advantage that everything is relatively close, certainly with a day's drive or train ride.  For that, I am envious.  Great Britain is still on my bucket list to visit someday.

9 hours ago, Louis D said:

Yes it's compact Louis. Too compact - particularly if you're an astronomer. Not many truly dark skies within reach any more. Much as I enjoy the uk shows, I'd love to go to NEAF one day. 

8 minutes ago, HD-AP said:

You

don't have an eyepiece obsession until you have every eyepiece brand from 2.5mm  to 55mm ie the whole range in between on all of the high end brands of eyepieces .I would say you have a mild interest in eyepieces :icon_biggrin:

Even then, it's a whole 'nuther level of obsession for folks who seek out unobtainium eyepieces like the Zeiss monocentric consumer and observatory classes.

I try not to collect things usually and discard things I don't like or use less, for the sake of owning less material and having more empty space.  Some people love collecting (not an illness), me, I kind of like empty space (not an illness either :icon_biggrin:)

My current little collection, everything inside the small box gets observation time, my level of satisfaction is very high right now ((:  The ES 34mm grenade, being my latest wide field acquisition, is stealing the spotlight now has the most used eyepiece (for 2 weeks approx). But In a 4 hours observation, everything gets observation time in the focuser.

34mm29x, 25mm40x, 18mm55x, 25+barlow80x 18+barlow111x, 7mm143x, 4.7mm212x, 7mm+barlow286x, 4.7mm+barlow424x

So happy!

zgMH3d7.jpg?1

I also have a 28mm LET and another 5mm Xcel-LX eyepiece I keep in storage to build a second smaller setup for a guest. The collection should grow certainly.

@Alan White Very nice collection you have!

Archived