SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Have I got an Eyepiece Obsession going on?

Alan White

I just started looking and my eyepieces; realised I might have a slight collective obsessive thing going on!

Here is the little family:

IMG_3013.thumb.JPG.dd447207c77e39e2731e146e67f74143.JPG

I now mainly use the ES 68 24 and 16 together with the Tak LE's and Tele Vue Plossls.
But the others are all still part of my collection and I am loathe to part with them.

However I clearly have money tied up in kit I am presently not using, but who hasn't.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?
or is it me?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same illness but with telescopes, 16 at last count and that was a while ago, ive had more since then but thay wont be counted until the next census :help::evil4::BangHead:, ive told the wife I want too cross breed a newt and frac and get a cat, well you have to have the bloodstock eh :icon_biggrin:. lovely ep collection Alan.  charl.

Alan - I've got 16 EPs, including two "whoppers" (20 and 30mm WA) and a zoom.  I've grown to really like the two big 'uns (see my image/avatar), and tend to use them more than any others.  I don't want to part with any of them though, and indeed have spent a lot of time today looking at ways to increase the collection!

As for 'scopes, I only have two, but have had three earlier ones, and am now planning for two more (a Dob and a solar).  And maybe a bigger Cat.  

Obsession?  Nooooh!

Doug.

I recently let go of a 25mm TV plossl, it was probably the weakest link in my collection, purchased to assist in hunting for the Horse Head nebula, I arrived at a conclusion that my 20mm actually performed more effectively on this subject. Since selling, I have had moments thinking just maybe it might have assisted for this or that specific target and is / was a nice eyepiece. The cash injection was welcome, otherwise perhaps best to hang on to a valued collection.  

After selling off my Meade 4000's, Tele Vue Plössl's/Delois and Baader Classics, all quality eyepieces in their own right, I have settled upon three sets and one 2" wide field, my 32mm Panaview. 20 Ep's in all from the last count, two not listed in my signature!

I don't feel the need to trial or test any other eyepiece for the f/6 Skyliner, having complete satisfaction with the present lineup, but would buy some more Starguiders if the focal length gaps were filled?

3 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

I have the same illness but with telescopes, 16 at last count

Wow!........that's more than some shops in UK have on their display! pity there wasn't a 300mm Skyliner in your collection for sale, could have made an excuse to collect on my way to-from Pembroke!

I have 5 eyepiece cases, with a few eyepieces back in their boxes due to lack of use and space.  They're kept around for comparison until I get around to selling them.  There's the A-Team case with Pentax XLs and XWs, Delos, Naglers, Panoptics, ES-82s, ES-92s, high quality barlows (1.25" and 2"), etc.  It weighs significantly more than several of my OTAs.  Then there's the B-Team case with AT AF70s, demoted Pentax XLs, sub-$100 2" eyepieces, lower quality barlows, coma corrector, etc.  These are used for outreach or to protect larger optics.  Then there's the C-Team full of retired or cheap eyepieces kept around for comparison and to remind me of why I keep $400 eyepieces.  Then there's the binoviewer case with the binoviewer, 1.25" diagonal, OCAs, and 6 pairs of eyepieces.  Last, there's the Meade HD-60 factory case with all 6 HD-60 eyepieces.  I picked it up used to see how good or bad these newer 60 degree eyepieces are.  All told, about 45 eyepieces.  However, my collection pales in comparison to many others out there.

I have two cases that are used - 1 for the dob and 120ED and the other for the refractors on alt/az that lighter eyepieces makes life so much easier.

The dob case has a Panoptic 24mm, Delos 17.3, 14, 10 and 6mm and also a Pentax 7mm. I find all these focal lengths necessary for critical DSO observing.

The other case has a 32mm Baader Classic Plossl, 24mm ES68, 19mm Panoptic, 11mm ES82, 6.7mm ES82, 10mm BCO and a 4mm TMB2 clone.  I think this case will certainly see some changes perhaps the 24mm ES will go and perhaps reduce to just 3 or 4 eyepieces.  Perhaps I should sell the lot and get a premium zoom?

I also have a 28mm ES Maxvision that as excellent as it is does not get much use and a 6mm BCO that gets used only for solar white light viewing.

and a set of Skywatcher SWA-70s...  which I should get around to selling!

and a random selection of Plossls that apart from a couple of Celestron Omnis don't have any value.  They are used for my four year old daughter with a four inch SW mini dob.

12 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

I have the same illness but with telescopes, 16 at last count and that was a while ago, ive had more since then but thay wont be counted until the next census :help::evil4::BangHead:, ive told the wife I want too cross breed a newt and frac and get a cat, well you have to have the bloodstock eh :icon_biggrin:. lovely ep collection Alan.  charl.

So that's where Smegul came from, Charl!

Doug.

9 hours ago, Charic said:

Wow!........that's more than some shops in UK have on their display

thanks charic, havnt a skyliner mate, it do sound like a lot but ive kept nearly every scope ive owned since I was 6 years old and I'm nearly 54 so 48 years collecting , I get atatched to them,  my oldist one was built in 1926 a cooke my grandfather gave me when I was 6. hope you find your skyliner. charl.

I think that's an entirely reasonable set you have there!

Ive got a set for the vx14, another for my small scopes and a number of plossls that I've just accumulated over time that come with scopes. More than is really necessary!

Archived