Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Abbreviation, Designation, codes!

Abbreviations can be annoying if your trying to better understand them, especially when you can't find any reference to their meaning?
I understand EQ (Equatorial) GEM (German Equatorial)  Fork, Dobsonian,  Alt-Az, but why I cannot find the meaning or reference to the letters 'N' & 'H' in N-EQ, H-EQ is puzzling me!
Just want to know what  N & H mean?

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

OK, second stab at it then; if H stands for heavy load, then N must stand for normal load (whatever normal is in this scenario?). Not putting any bets on it though! Hehe! ;) 

Like it.. the only issue is the “H” was used for the EQ5 range of mounts and not the EQ6... so had the H and N been used for the EQ5 I would say that would have been spot on.. :)

The EQ6 is a bigger beast altogether over the EQ5, but you already knew that.... sorry

The "H" is for "Heavy", it is a Heavy Weight EQ5, although there are sufficent arguements for it being a lightweight EQ6. Basically it sits between the EQ5 and the EQ6. Guess the jump in carrying weight was too big so they filled the gap.

The NEQ6 I am unsure of. There was the EQ6 and then retailers started selling the NEQ6. Didn't seem to be a great deal of difference. It just appears that the EQ6 was now called the NEQ6. Although the change may have been internal as in better motors, higher torque, possibly a better drive board but something (I assume something changed) and it was designated NEQ6. For a while they sold NEQ6 or EQ6 side by side. Suppose in the "worst" cast Skywatcher changed colour from Black to White and added the "N". But I suspect there is little between an EQ6 and an NEQ6 in terms of the actual mount, maybe the "goodies" on it but not otherwise.

It may have been that the NEQ6 came with Synscan as standard whereas the EQ6 was available as a bare mount and you added to it as time/budget alowed.

The (N)EQ6 is essentially the same as the EQ6 Synscan mount. The NEQ6 is an update rather than a new design. The two changes to the mount are the introduction of the Losmandy sized puck and the counterweight extension bar. The (H)EQ5 and (H)EQ5 Pro fit in between the EQ5 and EQ6 mounts using the same design concept as the EQ6 (internal motors rather than bolted on externally) .

27 minutes ago, ronin said:

It may have been that the NEQ6 came with Synscan as standard whereas the EQ6 was available as a bare mount and you added to it as time/budget alowed.

ronin, this is similar to a remark on another thread  whereby one unit did 'N'ot have a certain feature!

It's been my inclination, similar to Peter's  that that 'N' meant Newer! and 'H' meant Heavy duty.

Archived