Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
My effort from Derry last night - once I remembered to remove the cover from the field flattener. Doh.
I know the North America Nebula is done to death, but this is my first time imaging it, and also my first time trying the Triad filter with my Nikon. I'm in the middle of the city but I was able to take 5 min subs! I processed in PixInsight, but didn't even have to do background extraction. I used photometric colour calibration to restore natural colour and then just did a bit of mild tinkering. I'm impressed by the Triad filter on my first try.
Comments welcome - maybe I should try a star mask and try to bring out star colours?
22 X 5 min subs - 1hr 50min integration
PixInsight for calibration / registration / processing
Mount - Vixen AXD2
Scope - TEC 180FL
Camera - Nikon D750
I'm still transitioning from an unmodified Canon 200D to an Altair Astro 183C pro. I think this might be my best image yet, and the first time I have tried a mosaic.
Its made of two panels, each panel has 20x120s + 30x60s. Stacked and stitched in Astro Pixel Processor and edited in PS CC 2018. I'm pretty pleased!
Scope is a SW ED80 DS pro (reduced to 480mm, f/6) on a HEQ5 pro. Guided with a QHY5L-II in my finderscope.
So then, just as i thought the DSO season was well and truly over for me until late August/early September, as it turned out last Saturday night (May 5th) was mostly clear, so i set about trying to finish the NAN image i had captured in Ha a while back (see thread below):
So all i needed was some OIII. It's obviously not the ideal time of year to capture this i know, as it's so low on the horizon, but beggar's can't be choosers so i tried my best to make the most of the small amount of astro dark time available and just make the best of it.
In the end i managed 9 subs, two of which were sub-standard due to passing clouds, but as is my want these days i still asked APP to stack them (using the Quality setting) and it didn't seem to affect things. So in total this is:
Ha: 7 x 480s, 6 x 1200, 13 x 1200 (a little over 7 Hrs)
OIII: 9 x 1200s (3 Hrs)
RGB (with IDAS-D1 filter): 20 x 60s
The usual Flats & Bias, stacked in APP and processed in PS.
Gear used: Nikon D5300 (modded); SW 80ED (510mm FL); HEQ5-Pro; SGPro and PHD2.
The RGB subs were used solely for the stars. I still need to get better at merging them with the NB channels, i'm not as good as i'd like to be at controlling them. Although in this instance, i did mask the stretching of them, and it definitely helped, but i need to practice this to get better at it. I think the fact that the RGB stack (even at just 20 mins) contained some nebulosity didn't help things. When it's just stars and nothing else, it's so much simpler to combine them.
So this is just a Version 1 for now (i'll try an sSHO next). I used Ha for Red, OIII for Blue, and used one of Carboni's Actions to synthesize the Green channel. Then went round and round in circles trying to find a colour balance to my liking (on my rubbish monitor!) so i'd love to hear what you guys think. Too dark? Too much saturation? (i tend to do that, lol). I also couldn't decide on orientation, so have included two different ones. Which do you guys prefer?
All C&C welcome. Don't hold back! I'm always looking for ways to improve.
Here's a quick couple of WIP projects i have on the go. The NAN and NGC 7822. Just Ha for now, still need to capture the OIII.
The NAN one is a bit of a long-running saga for me. I first tried to image it on my 2nd light of the newly-modded D5300 and Ha filter back in early October. Got a small number of cloud-affected subs before the clouds rolled in for good. Then tried again in mid November and the same thing happened again. It's been obscured for me since, due to the neighbour's house, but it's now visible again (just) although it's very low on the horizon and i need to stay up Very late to get it, so i tried yet again in late March and did get a decent amount of subs this time, although i've now realised that imaging at super low altitudes is not something i plan on ever doing again, as the guiding is not great and image quality is nowhere near as good as at higher altitudes. Things did improve once it got over 20 degrees, but it still wasn't brilliant tbh.
As for NGC 7822, i captured this one just last night, April 5, between midnight and 3 am. Was in bed for 4:30 then up again for work at 7:15, so, err, today was fun, lol. When i realised it was going to be clear i frantically went on to DSO-Browser to try and find an Ha-friendly target, as there aren't many about these days, and the moon was coming up shortly after 01:00, so i was glad i discovered this one in the end. Hopefully it has enough OIII to make a good Bi-Colour image. I have until the end of the month to try and get it, fingers crossed.
NAN: a little over 7 hrs in total. 7 x 480s, 6 x 1200, 13 x 1200. Stacked them all in APP using the 'Quality' setting.
NGC 7822: 3 hrs in total. 9 x 1200s. Also stacked in APP using the 'Quality' setting.
No real processing done on either, aside from a stretch and gradient reduction (for NGC 7822). I'll update the thread if i manage to get the OIII for either in time.