Narrowband

Cygnus revisited - IC5070-NGC7000 (Cannistra Bicolour)

Uranium235

Well... last night was a cracker ey? Autumn equinox upon us (yay!), and very clear sky to boot. Unfortunately, it was the only night forecast to be clear so I decided to give a boost to an existing project (as one night isnt really enough to fire up another project).

I've now added another 2 hours in Ha to create an ultra-clean luminance layer, plus a couple in OIII for a splash of colour via the Cannistra bicolour process. I've stuck with my usual red and blue/cyan(ish) scheme as trying to fake HST colour with two filters never really seems to work well for me. Suppose I'd better stop skimping and get that darn SII filter! :)

Im not sure whether this will be my last image for a little while since I have to move house soon, and not out of choice. But I hope wherever I end up, the LP isnt too bad. I suppose there is the option of driving out to the dark site, but thats usually something I reserve for "special projects" or when clear sky is a nailed-on certainty.

22x900 (Ha_L), 8x900 (Ha_R), 8x900 (OIII_G&B)

Star71, Atik383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking :)

36581240213_e51d2fac59_k.jpg

7 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I love the colours you have here Rob.... this is looking great ...... very clean and detailed to boot ???? Good luck with your house move.

Thanks Sara, we've got two viewings today. Though ultimately the final decision of where we go isnt up to me really (which is the way it usually works in my house...lol). I suppose we could move to something more suitable for everyone in 12 months, but Im keen not to disrupt mt eldest sons education if poss - so I might have to start doing a school run and driving to work instead (been quite fortunate so far in that work has only been a 15min walk away).

I really like how you captured like the banding between the OIII and the H-a in the bottom left of the image with the dust bands at right angles crossing it. Never noticed that before might have a go at pointing my scope that way sometime in the future.

One thing I dont understand is why you dont use all the Ha subs in the red channel? Is it just because you added a lum layer to an earlier image?

14 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I really like how you captured like the banding between the OIII and the H-a in the bottom left of the image with the dust bands at right angles crossing it. Never noticed that before might have a go at pointing my scope that way sometime in the future.

One thing I dont understand is why you dont use all the Ha subs in the red channel? Is it just because you added a lum layer to an earlier image?

Thanks Adam :)

The reason why I dont use all of the Ha for the red channel is that it would be just too overpowering, even 8x900 in Ha overpowers the OIII stack (so I need to stretch the OIII so it starts to match the Ha before starting the cannistra process) - but I need to stack enough of it to get rid of any hot pixels (8 subs is usually enough). Also, you dont really need to grab too much OIII since youre whacking the RGB layer quite hard with gaussian blur or the dust and scratches filter.

The only downside of this method is that you have sacrafice star colour in order to avoid any blue/cyan halos that come from the extreme stretching of OIII data.

2 minutes ago, toxic said:

nice and deep this is Rob you all most lost the pelican by going that deep great image :thumbright:

Cheers buddy :) I dont know why I didnt turn the Star71 on this one sooner! (probably cos I'd already done it to death with every other telescope Ive owned) It fits in very nicely, and it makes a nice change to be concentrating my efforts on one spot rather than spreading the time thinly over a mosaic. It might be worth limiting myself this winter to no more than a 2 panel mosaic so I get get some really clean stuff done, as its sooo much nicer to work with a deep stack.

Archived