Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My current set-up

Dave1

Hi everyone here is current set-up. Ready and waiting for the clear skies tonight. Put it outside already so that the Mak can cool down. The Altair seems quite smooth in this set-up. Like I've read and been told it is critical with Alt Az mount that you get your tripod exactly level and perfectly balance both the azimuth and altitude axis's. 

Looking forward to giving everyone an update on how this set-up performs. Now to get used to nudging the mount or telescopes carefully to move around the night sky. I will be printing off a azimuth setting circle and buying a wixy to help me around the night sky whilst looking for tricky targets.

20170922_183257.jpg

20170922_183400.jpg

Unfortunately last night the sky clouded over. I did manage to get the odd glimpse through my telescopes at stars. I haven't used the 120mm refractor for sometime. I was surprised by how many stars this aperture reveals. I managed very briefly to try my new Edmund Optics 15mm RKE in my refractor. I was impressed with what I saw, the real telling will be on planets. As the sessions went on the cloud got worse. I only viewed very little with the Mak. To behonest I am wondered whether I want to keep the Mak, as I can see it is not quite as good on stars, which is to be expected. I'm in two minds whether to send it back or to get out at the next opportunity and try it on Saturn side by side and compare it to my 120mm refractor. The Mak is really a planetary scope when all is said and done.

The mount still has an ever so small amount of stiction on the azimuth axis, which courses me to over shoot, when trying to gently adjust the mount because of the earths rotation and the celestial sphere appearing to move. The altitude axis is silky smooth and very impressive, and easy to use. I might look at adding some more weight to the refractor end of the set up, in an attempt to rid the mount of stiction. 

Dave

Archived