Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Auriga explored!

Special K

I kept myself in one place for the most part last night and was really wanting to test drive a new £7.99 camp stool which worked a treat :)   Therefore, the scope stayed at pretty much the same DEC the whole session and it was mighty comfy!

I got out there at 2am which is silly o'clock to a clear, cold night with good seeing.  Spoiled for choice, I decided to give the M38 environs a detailed look and as soon as the atlas was brought to the EP, I stuck to that area.  M38 is lovely in the 6" by all accounts, at all sorts of magnifications.  The compact NGC1907 caught my eye from the start and under higher powers really is a nice addition.  At lower powers in the same FOV it is a beautiful accompaniment to the Starfish Cluster. 

2.thumb.jpg.8e7bfe9b0921ee2fdc4bd4b7df86c631.jpg

Feeling pretty ambitious, I took a shot at Abell 9 but just couldn't locate it.  I should have looked at a photo first because now I know where it resides. I couldn't see anything in the general area as shown on the chart.  I think this is a toughie as the UHC had no effect.

Panning down to M36 never disappoints, but up to ASCC15 and I couldn't see it!  Decided to ditch that idea.

There are lots of doubles to stumble across, and Struve698 was obviously a fine double even before looking at the chart.  Delightful pair.   I tried to split the variable LY but that just didn't indicate anything even at over 200x.  However, past the Minnow, there was Struve 653 which is a smasher!  The chart indicates a triple but I didn't see it.

The jaw dropper of the session was bringing out the O-III and picking up IC410......a first at this scale and very enjoyable.  What an excellent set piece nebula shrouding a loose cluster.  Definitely worth a look, though I failed with the 130mm in the past.  Think it needs 150mm ++ or very dark skies.    IC417 surrounding Stock 8 was another positive view, just on a smaller scale.  The nebula is much less obvious, but given time it reveals itself.  Patience!

Then I panned out to finish the session and picked Sigma Orionis' 4 lovely stars in a staggered row.  That was soon topped by the Trapezium and spotting E to make it a session breaking 5 stars viewed in a single system!  M42 itself was giving its all last night.  I didn't bother putting a filter on it, it was that bright and really showing details. 

Archived