Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Books similar to TLAO

Are there any astronomy books that are presented in a similar way to Turn Left At Orion, in that they provide a step by step guide to finding targets?  TLAO is great but I've found the selection of targets for each season is limited, perhaps due to it being written with smaller scopes in mind?

I could of course use my phone and one of the many apps available, but I really don't like using my phone at the scope and using the book for the last couple of nights observing, along with a red headlight, has been so much better than faffing about with my phone then trying to expel the screen glare from my eyes.  But, I'm already about 75% of the way through the Autumn targets, so a new addition to my library would be nice :-)

Any suggestions? 

8 hours ago, Lorne said:

Paul, Im sure Ian (Iam4208)in the CSOG group has that book. If its the same one, from what I remember its pretty detailed and should keep you going in the quest for more targets to search for!

That's good to hear mate as Andrew who posted the pics above has very kindly agreed to sell me his copy for a great price :-D

I love TLAO and will use it often but I think this will be a great accompaniment to it.

@andrew63 I received the book this morning, it's better than I expected!  500(!!!) pages is going to keep me occupied for lots of clear and cloudy nights :-)

Many thanks for the suggestion, and for selling (practically gifting) me your copy.  It's found a good home and will be well used!

19 hours ago, Buzzard75 said:

I've just been using my phone app and my Pocket Sky Atlas to find stuff to look at. I might have to look into getting one of these books.

Even buying new, this book is surprisingly reasonably priced considering the amount of work that must have gone in to writing and producing it.  It is very well written, and aimed at the amateur to intermediate astronomer in much the same way that Turn Left At Orion is, however the Astronomical Wonders book has a better range of targets.

They also provide lots of handy little nuggets of info, some of it completely new to me so I can say for sure that I'm thoroughly enjoying them :-)

Archived