SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Filters & Binoculars ??

Paul73

Hi Folks

After reading about people viewing nebulae through bins and holding filters in the light path to improve the view. I wondered how this works in practice. I don't have enough to hands !!!

Has anyone come up with an easy/engenious way of attaching filters to binos?

Paul

Hi Paul - hope you are keeping well.

I bought the Apollo 15x70 binos mainly because I could screw 1.25" filters direct into the eye lens. I did try just holding filters on my old Celestron 15x70 by pressure from my eyes but it was not satisfactory and did not really work.

It would be interesting if someone had a way of resolving this problem because I would like to use filters on my 7x50 binos.

In terms of the filter working then I don't think there should be any problem with that. However, the problem you might find is that a 2" filter is fairly likely to be a rather snug fit inside the dew shield around a 50mm lens. As such any filter you put into the gap might be a bit difficult to get out again. As such what you might want to do would be to carefully glue an empty filter cell inside each dew shield in order to give yourself some filter threads to easily attach and remove filters from. Of course I expect this will void any warranty you might have left. You might also want to consider that a filter cell inside the dew shield will stop down your aperture a few mm. The exposed filters will also be more prone to dewing than the recessed lens so a couple of 2" extension tubes you could screw to the filters as dew shields might also be a good idea. 

I don't have a 50mm binocular to test it on but I do have a 9x50 RACI, the objective end of which can't be much different, and it looks like something that might work. 

IMG_20170922_182820.thumb.jpg.05096ba7ffef045db4034656c0806c87.jpg

I had a pair of Canon 15x50IS binos and they had threads at the objectives. I bought some step down rings and the 2" filters screwed in very nicely. If you found some step down that were a tight fit in the casing then that might work for you?

On 22 September 2017 at 12:31, Mark at Beaufort said:

Hi Paul - hope you are keeping well.

I bought the Apollo 15x70 binos mainly because I could screw 1.25" filters direct into the eye lens. I did try just holding filters on my old Celestron 15x70 by pressure from my eyes but it was not satisfactory and did not really work.

It would be interesting if someone had a way of resolving this problem because I would like to use filters on my 7x50 binos.

50mm = 2 inches. Perhaps buying a pair of 2 inch filters (or 1 more if you own one already) for a x50 OG is a solution

45 minutes ago, 25585 said:

50mm = 2 inches. Perhaps buying a pair of 2 inch filters (or 1 more if you own one already) for a x50 OG is a solution

Yes I have been thinking of doing this. I have a number of 1.25" filters - H.Beta. UHC, O-III and I also have an adapter the same as this - http://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-2-to-1.25-Filter-Adapter.html

For the price it might be useful to get another one of these adapters. I would then be able to use 2 - H.Beta filters for trying to view the California Neb from a dark site.

IMHO, bins are bins and scopes are scopes. No point in trying to make one work like the other. They are two different things and provide two different experiences.

I have a 70,90,130,200mm scope. I have 10x50,20x90 bins. 

I enjoy each for what they are and deliver. I use UHC & OIII on my scopes, but no filters on my bins. No reason whatsoever why similar filters would not work on bins (if you find the right ones). I just dont expect/want/need my bins to deliver the same views as a scope.

In saying this, i did see that FLO now sell solar filters for bins at a nice price. I am thinking of buying some for my 20x90...............even though i have a Hershel wedge which i use on my 70mm refrac scope.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

IMHO, bins are bins and scopes are scopes. No point in trying to make one work like the other. They are two different things and provide two different experiences.

I have a 70,90,130,200mm scope. I have 10x50,20x90 bins. 

I enjoy each for what they are and deliver. I use UHC & OIII on my scopes, but no filters on my bins. No reason whatsoever why similar filters would not work on bins (if you find the right ones). I just dont expect/want/need my bins to deliver the same views as a scope.

In saying this, i did see that FLO now sell solar filters for bins at a nice price. I am thinking of buying some for my 20x90...............even though i have a Hershel wedge which i use on my 70mm refrac scope.

Paul I can tell you that having O-III filters in some 15x70 binos gives fantastic views of the North American Neb so much better than a scope. Also, I had the most brilliant view of the  Rosette Neb again far better than any of my scopes.

All good points chaps. I viewed the NA nebula sans filters from the deepest darkest French countryside in the summer with my 10x50's. And, yes, I now agree that some targets are better with Binos.

In another thread, an experienced SGLer suggests using a UHC and a OIII (one on each side) and letting your brain sort it out. I'll try that first.

Paul

Archived