Date - 21/09/17

Time - 23:00 - 12:00

Lunar Phase - 1% New Moon (not risen)

Seeing - Excellent

Equipment - Skywatcher 12" dobsonian.

Eyepieces/Filters - ES 30/20/14/9

No filters

Additional info - 

Last night was my first session in a good few weeks and my first light with my ES 30 lovely finder ep and great on andromeda and Pleiades.

Anyway onto the session I had a lovely selection of objects to go at including 2 double stars I’ve never observed double stars before so this was new for me.

Almach-

I started of with this double star really easy to find and I have to say a beautiful object to observe.

The golden colour of the star to the left was very bright and the blue colour of the star to the right was very striking.

They were a lot closer then I thought they would be and gave me the illusion of moving closer together when I observed for a long period.

I used my ES 14mm which offered 107mag which was well up to the job.

Albireo-

Onto my second double, another easy to find object in the constellation of Cygnus.

I was surprised when I first observed it the gap between both stars is significantly bigger compared to Almach and the yellow star above the blue one didn’t appear as bright to me as Almach.

That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy observing it, the star field alone was lovely to sketch and to get the brightness and exact gap and orientation between both stars was a joy to do.

I decided to use my ES 9mm because of the pleasing view of the object and star field which gave me 167 mag.

The Pleiades-

Onto my final sketch of the night and honestly one of my favourite objects to observe.

The star field was simple stunning I struggled to fit it all in my ES 30mm which offered 50 mag.

I couldn’t make out and gas around the 7 main stars but the brightness was very intoxicating and I spent a good amount of time trying to get the stars in the right position.

In conclusion a very enjoyable night and a great start to the new season.

Clear skies ✨????

D6ECC8B1-E30C-4C26-AA22-FDF8CF00C63A.jpeg

6316F445-0AE4-4480-9740-52EFF8BC0581.jpeg

6C892E08-1278-4B90-8AF3-A8B11F42BB24.jpeg

Archived