SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ideas For Challenges

Grant

We have a list of challenges for the next year based on ideas we've had in the mod/admin team but, we are very much open to suggestions :)

We're trying to get a balance of subjects and difficulties and like to have some that pretty much anyone can take part in every so often to try and get more people involved.

Please let us know any thoughts you have :)

Cheers,

Grant

A friend of mine observed a couple of bright Orionids this week, supposed to peak 20th 21st of October.

Possibly a good challenge but would obviously need to start asap, as a new challenge has already started might be too late. 

Nige.

Aircraft in flight, or the most stuff you can get on a mount and it still work or best phone pic through a scope. but the best with unmodded cam sounds good what nige said. oh heres another one best image through cloud we have plenty of chances than. charl. 

• Like 1

Images taken through a guidescope with the main imaging scope doing the guiding.  That would allow me for example to image with the ST80?  May be include images taken with the guidecam or the main imaging camera swopped over.

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

Asteroids - appulses with DSOs or other asteroids, NEOs, Light curves, animations.

I always find them fascinating, as there are countless numbers of them and they are constantly moving

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Maybe not a challenge as such but I would really like some processing practice. Maybe publish some stacked but unprocessed images for us to practice processing on. Perhaps we could post our results for comments and comparison to help each other out?

Data seems very hard to collect in the UK at the moment!

Thanks

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/10/2017 at 09:38, furrysocks2 said:

Sketching challenge.

I'll second a sketching challenge.  In fact, why not have a couple of sketching challenges a year?

Subjects could include:

The Moon

The Sun

Planets

Open clusters

Galaxies

Double stars

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 13:19, vernmid said:

Maybe not a challenge as such but I would really like some processing practice. Maybe publish some stacked but unprocessed images for us to practice processing on. Perhaps we could post our results for comments and comparison to help each other out?

Data seems very hard to collect in the UK at the moment!

Thanks

This seems like a good idea. Entries must start with the same basic, stacked data ie a level playing field as far as equipment and location is concerned. Then anything goes as far as processing is concerned. Entry must include details of processing steps so becomes a bit educational too. Also shows a good comparison between the software packages available.

David

• Like 2

I am not an imager but how about a real challenge? Cooperation beats the Hubble! Hundreds of SGL members shoot a couple of hours of data of M16 each, resulting to thousands of hours of data  stacked all together to combine one Image, where all SGL Members can have a go at processing.

Would that beat the hubble's pillars of creation?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I am not an imager but how about a real challenge? Cooperation beats the Hubble! Hundreds of SGL members shoot a couple of hours of data of M16 each, resulting to thousands of hours of data  stacked all together to combine one Image, where all SGL Members can have a go at processing.

Would that beat the hubble's pillars of creation?

Brilliant idea, sure to make the Guinness book too. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...