SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wide Field M35

cuivenion

Hi, this was taken using a HEQ5, an unmodified Canon 500D and a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm 2.8 set to F8. Monday night was forcast for heavy cloud all night, so of course it was clear all night! I wasn't really well prepared but I rushed out at about 2am, polar aligned and started snapping.

Autosave003JPEG.thumb.jpg.5709778f9941626e52bd903b5c5fd69a.jpg

14 x 180 seconds Dithered, Unguided

30 x Bias

30 x Flats

Captured with Backyard EOS. Stacked with Deep Sky Stacker and processed with GIMP 2.9.5 Beta.  Lightly cropped to minimize the corner aberations. I noticed the nebulosity to the far right and after I uploaded the image to Astrometry.net, I realised I'd captured NGC 2174, The Monkey Head Nebula. I'm quite happy with this for the exposure, but I'll hopefully add to it If I get the chance. I've not used darks and instead relied on aggresive dithering.

I like a good star field. Nice capture.

M35 is a good target in the Winter skies to make sure my tracking is on the button..

What effect does the 'dithering' have ??  Is that a processing option or can you set it on the camera ?

Sean.

On 9/21/2017 at 13:11, cuivenion said:

I noticed the nebulosity to the far right and after I uploaded the image to Astrometry.net, I realised I'd captured NGC 2174, The Monkey Head Nebula

Nice capture. FWIW from looking at Stellarium, a bit of Monkey Head would rather be bottom half-right, and far right half height would be NGC2175...

EDIT: sorry, indeed I meant Jellyfish rather than Monkey head, as pointed by Cozzy, and it's fainter than the other nebula as I only see a red patch.

17 minutes ago, Craney said:

I like a good star field. Nice capture.

M35 is a good target in the Winter skies to make sure my tracking is on the button..

What effect does the 'dithering' have ??  Is that a processing option or can you set it on the camera ?

Sean.

Hi Craney, when you 'dither' you move the mount by a small amount between shots, a few pixels or so. When you stack later with a sigma clipping routine it removes hot pixels and satellite trails. Backyard EOS does the dithering for you, either via ascom or PHD if you're guiding.

1 hour ago, cuivenion said:

Thanks guys. From what I'm reading NGC2175 is the cluster of stars being created by the Monkey Head, so they're in the same position in the image.

Nice image,

I think the piece to the right is the Monkey Head whilst the piece at the bottom is part of the Jellyfish.

Link: http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/index.php?c=152&p=491

hth's

Tim

4 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Nice starfield, and great to get a nebula thrown in to the mix. You're probably right not bothering with the darks if you can't control the temp. A hint of green maybe on my screen. You could try adjusting green levels slightly. 

Richard.

Thanks, I think the green might be light pollution, but I'll have another look.

Archived