Pickering's triangle 2 pane mosaic in bi-colour

swag72

This one has sat on my computer for more than a month..... :)  I'm not sure how I wanted it to turn out and I'm still not sure that I am totally there, but I'm not looking at it any more!!! 

This is a 2 pane mosaic, which I decided to do so that the entire Pickering's triangle could be framed. I was going to go for the full Hubble palette, but I gave up after 40 hours of Ha and OIII. My sanity is worth more than some SII :) There's some changes afoot as well as the TMB will soon be sporting a Sony sensor and the Kodak KAF8300 will return to the dual rig Taks.

Details:
Mount: Mesu 200
Scope: TMB 152/1200
Camera: QSI683 with 3nm Ha and OIII Astrodons.

Each pane has 20x1800s of Ha and OIII

This was calibrated and the mosaic was merged in AstroPixel Processor software....... then Photoshop was the weapon of choice :)  

You can see a larger version on my website here

Pick triangle_SGL.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!!....  what an image.  Almost animated in its form.

Do I get the hint that the SII waveband does not yield enough detail to be worth the many nights of collection ??     Is this true for all objects or do some shine a bit more brightly in  SII  ??

Sean.

48 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Awesome in full size, 40 hours eh ? that's about a years worth round here :grin:

Dave

Tell me about it :(.

Trying to get enough time to add just one more hour of [OIII] to my NHO image, which nevertheless will be nowhere near as good as this. It's a cracking image.

3 hours ago, Craney said:

Do I get the hint that the SII waveband does not yield enough detail to be worth the many nights of collection ??     Is this true for all objects or do some shine a bit more brightly in  SII  ??

Some targets are better in SII than you can imagine and in a couple of targets I have done a bi colour of Ha and SII as the OII has been so poor. I really probably should have persevered with the SII, but it would have needed another 10 hours and the weather was really poor at that time. Maybe next year..... Or maybe not as the camera will be different soon.

Thanks guys for all your comments - I'm thrilled that you like it :) 

When I was looking at this and testing subs I found HII to be the strongest, as expected closely followed by [NII]. [OIII] was weaker and the [SII] only barely there. I therefore concentrated on HII, [NII], and [OIII].

With our weather I thought that I'd be trying to get enough [SII] from now until when.

7 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Some targets are better in SII than you can imagine and in a couple of targets I have done a bi colour of Ha and SII as the OII has been so poor. I really probably should have persevered with the SII, but it would have needed another 10 hours and the weather was really poor at that time. Maybe next year..... Or maybe not as the camera will be different soon.

Thanks guys for all your comments - I'm thrilled that you like it :) 

Why the change of camera? I noted that you were going to change it to a sony sensor but in the past you have been outspoken about the benefits of the KAF8300 over the sony cameras?

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

Why the change of camera? I noted that you were going to change it to a sony sensor but in the past you have been outspoken about the benefits of the KAF8300 over the sony cameras?

The change of camera is purely a result of much soul searching about whether I can get better resolution than 0.93 with the TMB refractor. I'm not giving up on the KAF8300..... it will continue on the dual rig giving a great FOV.

I still believe that the real estate of the KAF8300 is hard to beat, but in the case of 1200mm I ended up thinking that the ICX814 is a good match ?

The background is relatively bright as we're looking through the walls of the bubble that is the Cygnus Loop complex.

I think Pickering's Triangle is a fabulous object for imaging, there's so much intricate detail to bring out, which Sara has done superbly.

11 hours ago, moise212 said:

......isn't the background quite bright? It's not the first time when an image looks brighter on my laptop

I went backwards and forward for some time with this! If I got it much darker than I lost the faint stuff..... I think this was a compromise that seemed to work the best.

Thanks all for your comments.... They are much appreciated :) 

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

I went backwards and forward for some time with this! If I got it much darker than I lost the faint stuff..... I think this was a compromise that seemed to work the best.

Thanks all for your comments.... They are much appreciated :) 

It IS my laptop's screen. I see it now also on one of my images that I reprocessed last night, it's very dark. Hopefully I will find a comfortable place to arrange my desk after I move and I could easily use the IPS monitor instead of the laptop's.

Archived