SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why I'm Not Online Much Anymore :(

JohnSadlerAstro

Hi,

I've been on SGL for around 2 years now, and this forum and its members have been an amazing help with my journey into astronomy and then astrophotography. A big thank you to all you wonderful people :)!

However, as I am now 16, I have reached A levels. While being home-schooled helps with the amount of time I spend studying, (no time going to school and back, waiting for lessons, etc.) I am spending most of my time doing education. While I am certainly not leaving the website or astronomy, I just don't the time for them (or anything) that I'd like to have, anymore. :( 

I am looking forward to the completion of my studying, (at least for this year, which will take up the most time) but until it is finished, I may not be online much and I may not be able to use the setup much either. :homework:

I wish everyone clear skies, I will be back online a lot sometime in the future! :) 

John

Good luck with your studies, oh to be 16 again :icon_biggrin: One thing is for certain, the delights of the heavens will still be there for you when are ready as will hopefully SGL. Astronomy took a "back seat" for me through the 90's well into the new millennium, due to having children and family commitments.

Find a sense of "balance" in all that you do while you are young, and make time for the things which you enjoy; time passes quickly, and all work and no play results in looking back on a lot of empty yesterdays. Food for thought, by someone who's been there.  :wink:

I hope the studies go well.  'A' levels take a lot of time (my daughter is just into her 2nd year) and it's a completely different mind-set to get your head around so I think you will do well by yourself with the decision you have made, (you might find turning off any other social media distractions you might have in operation for some nights is also a good idea).  However, I am a strong advocate that all work and no 'play' is not a good thing so don't forget to sort yourself out a timetable so you get a fair amount of 'you-time' when you can switch off your mind from your studies and concentrate on something else you enjoy for a while.  As has been noted above, the sky is going no-where and if you look after your gear I am sure it will all still be working when you have the time to get back to things.  I hope you have chosen to study some STEM subjects! :happy7:

L8-Nite beat me to it, they hit the post button just before me

4 minutes ago, JOC said:

I hope you have chosen to study some STEM subjects! :happy7:

Maths (all possible) Physics, and Chemistry and History. I'm hoping to get a Sponsored Degree in Aerospace Engineering with Airbus.

Thank you for the advice and encouragement, everyone.

2 years' time the sky will look better than it ever did when I had lots of time to look at it! :)

John

L8-Nite brings up a good point. Find that balance between work and play. You may find more time than you think for astronomy and SGL. And as Paul73 said, "The stars aren't going anywhere." They'll be waiting for you!

Best wishes with your studies, my friend :headbang:

Reggie

Good luck with your studies, John! I''m sure there'll be plenty of future time for you to do astro stuff.

I'm not much on here either these days as I've gone back to uni to study Physics and Astronomy full time. Glasgow weather has been terrible anyway. It seems to just get worse :(

Louise

4 hours ago, orion25 said:

L8-Nite brings up a good point. Find that balance between work and play. You may find more time than you think for astronomy and SGL. And as Paul73 said, "The stars aren't going anywhere." They'll be waiting for you!

Best wishes with your studies, my friend :headbang:

Reggie

I very much agree! Learning to balance out time as you are is a very important lesson we all must try to master - some successfully while others' not so much. :p

I too was essentially 'home-schooled' though quite differently. I dropped-out of the town-schools where I was from. Found out I wasn't learning a thing. They just wanted to condition kids to obey orders, follow and respect disreputable leaders, and hate anyone who was different. This was the USA in 1972. My father was an MIT professor and he didn't object to my decision. He gave me an MIT Affiliates' Card* and told me it essentially was permission to go to any university or college in the world and have the rights and privilages of a visiting professor from MIT. And it's good for life - I still have it. Best gift my father ever gave me! So I lived in the libraries of many colleges, talked with students & professors, and audited courses in many different subjects, though the sciences were always my strong suit. Thus I invented my own education.

I am cheered to see you have been home-schooled. This would likely require certain subjects be included to pass a national standard, but I hope you also can opt into studying subjects which interest you the most. Enjoying some subjects makes it fun to learn! And liking learning will keep the thirst for knowledge alive for the rest of your life. This is a truly invaluable quality for anyone to have and maintain. Consider yourself a very fortunate young man!

As I often say in ending a post:

Enjoy!  And I'll also add that the stars ARE always there!

Dave

* The Affiliate - Program is reciprocal. Affiliates of other colleges/universities can wander about MIT at will as well.

Archived