Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shutter Stutter.... Moravian G2-8300 FW

AngryDonkey

Went out imaging this week to capture my first narrowband image (as well as trying to figure out automatic focusing - which went surprisingly well thanks to SGP, a PegasusAstro controller and a Lakeside motor). However one of my cameras (a Moravian G2-8300 with internal filter wheel) was driving me mad because every second image was completely dark and I couldn't figure out why. In the end I setup an SGP sequence to take a very short exposure on every second sub to allow me to get some data.

When I got home next day I took the camera apart and discovered that the internal filter wheel cable had slightly move inside the housing and was blocking the shutter's normal movement which meant it was blocking the sensor every other image.... Probably my own fault for not tucking the cable away properly after changing the filters last time but something to remember for the future! Maybe not the greatest design as you can't really see where the cable is when you close the housing....

Anyway, I did manage to salvage some data from the night  but didn't get much OIII or SII:

large.HeartNebula1.png.174c5823dfdd4de42e13a93237ce8d57.png

Thank you!

The other thing I learned about the Moravian camera that night is that the internal filter wheel will not change the filter until the exposure is started. In SGP this means that if you change the filter manually nothing happens. Only when taking the next exposure will the wheel start turning. Confusingly SGP then already reports that it is exposing when the wheel is still turning. Apparently this is only a display issue and the camera will expose for the correct amount of time. Caused me some head scratching though... ? 

Yes, apart from the hot summer it's a great place to live! Shame about the light pollution, I usually drive up to Jebel Akhdar for imaging which is still not great but good enough and only two and a half hours away. At least there a plenty of clear nights!

Archived