Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

In Pursuit of Barnards 142 & I43

scarp15

Edward Emerson Barnard published his listing of famous dark nebulae in 1919. The pairing of B142 and B143 (Barnard's E), are contained in Aquila, three degrees N/W of Altair and within the summer Milky Way star field. Dark nebulae are clouds of non luminous dust and gases that obscure the stars behind.  B143 and 142 are considered an easier and equally impressive phenomena, within this class of nebulae, to seek out. The defining feature is the E in B143 (which I believe is also known as the Triple Cave). The nebulae are large in scale and so require low power and large field of view and can only be observed from a dark sky location when the Milky Way is clearly distinguished. 

I was not necessarily best equipped to observe B142 & B143, omitting to take along either my 16x70 binoculars or 76mm wide field refractor. I was though fortunate to be out observing at all, with a clear sky forecast anticipated until midnight. I took along my 200mm F6 dobsonian for low power wide field sweeps of primarily large emission nebulae.

As darkness began to fall, M57 and M27 became a welcome sight, their familiar characterises pleasing to the eye. I repeatedly visited each planetary time and again, as I did many of the objects observed, throughout the session period. As it drew yet darker, I eagerly applied attention to the Cygnus Loop. East and western veil, Pickering triangle distinct and enjoyable with both my 31mm and 21mm ultra wide field ep and OIII filter. Switching to my Lumicon UHC, I located IC 1318 in the locality of Sadr. Along to the North America and Pelican to enjoy mesmerising views, I drifted along towards 68 cygni in pursuit of Sh2- 119. I think I can detect nebulosity but is faint and so kept trying throughout the evening. I observed many other objects switching between filters and none, such as the Crescent, NGC 6826 Blinking Planetary, M71 in Sagitta.

The Milky way was arcing brightly across my location, observing conditions were generally good with an average SQM-L reading of 21.3, condensation that had started to build up was now kept at bay as a gentle breeze had picked up through the valley. It was a no nonsense approach for B143, 142, my 31mm nagler providing X39 mag, 5.1mm exit pupil, potential 2.12' field. Working along from Tarazed, I could imply the dark voids and spaces in an otherwise intensely compacted starfield, quite compelling.  My field of view range was perhaps not really enough to fully encapsulate and appreciate this encounter and perhaps I also need to (as I have upon returning) fully comprehend what I am looking at. Therefore I will visit this again with a much clearer understanding to fully grasp the defining features, something I look forward to.  

IC 1396

Cepheus was also a focus of attention, although at times I found myself floundering in the dob hole. Fixed on the Garnet star, I could drift across to reach the large emission, IC 1396 The Elephant Trunk nebula. With conviction I was able to drift along the meandering length of this expansive feature. I believe that a dark nebula is also prevalent and like so many other circumstances, to research further and anticipate visiting again. I just managed NGC 7325 the Little Ring Nebula (a dob hole negotiation) when cloud was threatening from the West. I therefore left emission nebula sh2-132 for another time and turned towards Cassiopeia. Positioned on the Muscle Man cluster (Stock 2), I nudged the scope towards NGC 896 in the vicinity of the Heart nebula. Again I determined that I could discern nebulosity yet need to confirm and understand the visual implications (which I believe the brighter area might be quite compact and small). However with not much time until cloud finally encroached, I removed the filter to enjoy a high power view of NGC 7789 Caroline's Rose.

A barn owl stood planted in the road, contemplating its meal in the undergrowth, it swivelled its head to regard my passing, so nice to be out again.

P1070862.thumb.JPG.d100ca0d946bc1c60f7bf625f17c711a.JPGP1070865.thumb.JPG.3d02709eb9437f4b889888f0f7e6cb78.JPG

Great report Iain!

Those two mentioned dark nebs seem to respond to certain combinations and when right B142,B143 jump right out at you under your conditions. I would think the TV 76mm/21E might be a VG set up to explore these objects with.

Congrats for a fine session!

10 hours ago, jetstream said:

Great report Iain!

Those two mentioned dark nebs seem to respond to certain combinations and when right B142,B143 jump right out at you under your conditions. I would think the TV 76mm/21E might be a VG set up to explore these objects with.

Congrats for a fine session!

Thanks everyone :smile:

Yes that combination would be highly applicable next time Gerry. I parred back the kit I might otherwise had taken, opting for a kind of 'rapid reaction' approach, the VX8L required minimal modification to the car, taking a punt that the forecast would stand correct. Quite some time since I had last been able to sit out and gradually watch the stars appear, void of any big ugly clouds preparing to lumber across.  

Along with forum members accounts, there is plenty of informative concerning B142 and 143, not least on Cloudy Nights.

Here is a, familiar to many, feature in this observers resource.

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/001379.html

Archived