SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Your best ever view through your bins

Nathan UK

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/09/2017 at 14:09, Merlin said:

The best view I had was in 20X60's of the Double Cluster from a dark site. They looked like sprinkled gemstones on black velvet. I still have the bins, but unfortunately there's fungus on one of the prisms.

Does anyone know a good binocular repair service in the UK? Fungus is easy to remove, but recollimation is something else.

I'm not sure if he does binoculars, but it might be worth asking Steve at SC telescopes, if not, he might be able to point you in the right direction. http://sctelescopes.com/telescope/

1. The 'Coathanger' asterism with my 20x80's... I tried to repeat it minutes later with my 7x50's and could not find it, (I should have mounted them on my Manfrotto 055B photo tripod). :iamwithstupid:

2. The 'Pleiades' [aka M45] - beautiful in either 20x80's or 7x50's. :icon_salut:

3. Tracking man-made satellites, (I have not seen the ISS), or aircraft in my 7x50's as they cross the nightsky. :bino2:

Barnard 168. Its absence from my Sky Atlas 2000 made me neglect it during years of endeavoring to see as much from the atlas as is possible. As a lesson to not overestimate even the greatest things, the reduced version, Pocket Star Atlas, shows it. About the same time I got the slimmer and smaller book, a friend pointed out some asterism in Lacerta that made me aim my 16x70 at that patch of sky.

And there, coming from behind the scenes like an Oscar-winning supporting actor jumping in for its moment of stunning performance, that gigantic tongue of black dust was finally spotted, so invasive in the binocular's field I became sure it can be seen by contrast with the surrounding star fields for observers not equipped with lenses, but blessed with skies free from the clouds of scattered light coming out of cities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On our way to one of our astronomical adventures, myself and paulastro spent some time at a nature reserve Bird watching. It's not really my thing but Paul really enjoys it, so i was happy to play along. I spent most of the morning looking at ducks bottoms as they dipped their heads under water. I had taken along a pair of Swift 10×50 japanese bino's which were far from ideal as they were heavy and a bit on the large side. After a couple of hours I asked if I could take a look through Paul's 40mm binoculars, which cost him in the region of a £1000. To say they were good is an understatement. Compared to Paul's 40mm's my Swift 50mm made me feel like I had cataracts, and although the 50's were in excellent condition, I've never looked through them since. The 40's were brighter, sharper, with better clarity, definition and contrast proving quality really is a major player even when it comes to small binoculars.

For me it is probably scanning the central Milky Way with the Vixen SG 2.1x42 bins in Namibia.  It must be what an owl (or Superman) sees when they look to that part of the sky.  Simply stunning!  I wanted to capture the memory of that so took an Astro-selfie of sorts while doing it.

5a01735c73d6d_NamibaSG.thumb.jpg.08042ff2799037f9837f4c6ecea87a7a.jpg

On 20 September 2017 at 14:57, Nathan UK said:

Anyone like to share there best moment/view through your bins?

Always first seeings for me. Discovering Messiers, fainter than eye anything is cool. 

I guess M13, M31 and M57 were mine. 

Years ago I lived in the Welsh valleys. It was 2AM and my puppies wanted to go in the garden. Being puppies they didn't want to come back in so I got my 12x50 bins and had a look at M31. The view was incredible - I could see the bright core, extended disc, and some dust lanes. I remember when I lived there I complained about the light pollution - what was I thinking? There's no pleasing some people :happy11:

• 2 weeks later...

Sagittarius/Scutum overhead from Inyanga (Zimbabwe) on a still June night in 1982. It was superb enough just lying under those stars with the naked eye (Uranus was an easy naked eye object, it was that dark), but with the Zeiss Dekarem 10x50s I had at the time, it was simply stunning.

• 1 month later...

Too easy. I met a gal online (at a site for Borderline Personality Disorder's significant others) and figured, WTH, nothing can come of it cuz no way I'm ever goin to New Jersey. On the second visit I brought my Pentax 20x60s and spied the Trapezium for the first time, I was so excited. Almost immediately thereafter, and still separated by 500 miles, we commenced our scope build, neither of us having ever even looked through a scope previously (they just look so intimidating to the uninitiated eye). Been married 5 years now, but it's okay cuz her NJ skies are better than mine were in Chicago.

OMG! Did I just post below Steve Tonkin? OMG OMG. How cool is that? I gotta tell my wife.

When I was 7 or 8 and my now late Dad let me look at the Moon with him in his treasured 8 x 40 Swifts, it set me on a lifetimes Lunar observing and astronomy as a whole. 

We spent many times looking together over the years and even when he was very ill we did the same in his last years, Dad and son time, very special.

But the first time looking at the Moon is that all time best view.

• 2 weeks later...

Either M31&M33 from the Brecon Beacons, just a smudge in the bins with a brighter centre but being the first time I set eyes on a galaxy from a dark site was mesmerising, or the beehive cluster from my backyard was just as cool, so many different stars in one view and always a beauty to look at 

On 27/12/2017 at 15:54, Victor Boesen said:

Flaming star area last night in my Helios Apollo 15x70 with my UHC and Olll filters fitted. Found it by “mistake” when sweeping the sky. There was so many interesting fuzzies in this area!!!

Victor, did you have both filters attached at the same time? I love my Apollos and had a great night scanning the skies last night and found this area... I've  never really bothered with filters, but you've got me thinking!! I have UHC not OIII though... 

2 hours ago, Patbloke said:

Victor, did you have both filters attached at the same time? I love my Apollos and had a great night scanning the skies last night and found this area... I've  never really bothered with filters, but you've got me thinking!! I have UHC not OIII though... 

Both at same time:-) works quite good to be honest.

• 1 month later...

Archived