Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

David Crane

Target catalogue for deep sky imaging

DSO browser is a good call as you can sort by so many things to really pinpoint what is good for you in terms of location, size, constellation etc. If you want a book though, then I love these Uranometria offerings https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/uranometria-20000-deep-sky-atlas-all-sky-edition-book.html and https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/uranometria-20000-deep-sky-field-guide-book.html and if you like pretty pictures and want to get an idea of what is around and when then this one is a good book too https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/the-100-best-astrophotography-targets-book.html

Hope that helps :) 

+1 on The 100 Best Targets book.  I have that too and it is excellent.

6 hours ago, RogerTheDodger said:

Not a book, but have you looked at https://dso-browser.com/

That is exactly what I have been looking for, and the fact it integrates with APT is cool. Thanks for the link.

Or you could try Stellarium Astronomical Calculations tool - shows targets by class, brightness etc

10 hours ago, Jkulin said:

That is exactly what I have been looking for, and the fact it integrates with APT is cool. Thanks for the link.

Glad to be of help :)

• Like 1

Being old school I'm rather partial to Keppel and Sanner, though the volumes are primarily for visual and the photos are film. However, if you want to escape the 'best hundred' on the grounds of originality then these volumes are good. Plus they are just nice. Works of passion!

http://www.willbell.com/handbook/nitesky.htm

Olly

• Like 1

Just now, ollypenrice said:

Being old school I'm rather partial to Keppel and Sanner, though the volumes are primarily for visual and the photos are film. However, if you want to escape the 'best hundred' on the grounds of originality then these volumes are good. Plus they are just nice. Works of passion!

http://www.willbell.com/handbook/nitesky.htm

Olly

*groan* My bookcase really can't hold any more astro books....... Why oh why did you mention these Olly? :) 

1 minute ago, swag72 said:

*groan* My bookcase really can't hold any more astro books....... Why oh why did you mention these Olly? :) 

Because you need them, my sweet one!

:evil4:lly xx

• Like 1

On 21/09/2017 at 20:31, ollypenrice said:

Because you need them, my sweet one!

:evil4:lly xx

I do and they are on my Christmas list now :) 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now