Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranus and Moons

John

Following on from these observations earlier:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/300403-neptune-triton-and-hd-216777/

Uranus has now pulled clear of the conifers so I've been observing that world for a while. Uranus has a 3.6 arc seconds disk at the moment so easier to discern than Neptune's. Using high powers again (350x or more at times) the disk is well defined and seems to have a slightly lemon-green tint to my eye contrasting with the Neptunian pale blue. I've been pleased to spot 2 Uranian moons, Titania (mag 13.9) and Oberon (mag 14.1) both on opposite sides of the planets disk tonight. Titania could be held with direct vision for some time while Oberon was a little more challenging. I may have glimpsed Ariel (mag 14.3) once or twice but could not be sure as it's closer to Uranus than Titania and will be in the halo of light around the planet more than the other two moons.

Challenging but rewarding to pick out these tiny, distant bodies of rock and ice and their host gas giant :icon_biggrin:

On the other end of the distance and size scale I managed to find the galaxy M33 a little while ago and could just make out the hazy spot of the massive area of nebulosity that lies within that galaxy, NGC 604.

A good and varied session of observing with seeing conditions gradually improving as the night wore on :icon_biggrin:

Well, I'd say any session which takes in NGC604 is astounding!  Thanks for sharing that. I'm assuming this was with a dob?  

I dont hold out much hope of seeing the moons but really should get on the case with these two planets.  We are very fortunate they are well placed in the sky and move across it so slow they will remain so for some time to come.  I'm not sure if I've observed the ice giants in the 6" which I still consider "new!"

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Well, I'd say any session which takes in NGC604 is astounding!  Thanks for sharing that. I'm assuming this was with a dob?  

Yes it was the dob (which is out tonight as well !). I have seen NGC604 with smaller scopes though - including my ED120 refractor under a dark sky. Once you know to look out for it, it's not to difficult. It's quite a way from what we can usually see of M33 visually though - the images can mislead you into thinking that it's going to be closer in but the galaxy has a lot more extension when imaged.

John following on from your Neptune post I also decided to view the Moons of Uranus last night. Same set up as the Neptune post with 12" Dob and TeleVue 8-24 zoom with Baader 2.25X barlow - max mag 434X

The sky was excellent last night and Uranus was nicely placed for observing. Studied the Planet for a while and could see two points of light either side of the Uranus. Checking the website that you gave I must have been viewing Titania and Oberon (again a first for me). I tried to see other points of light but I was not successful.

So in one night I have seen the Moons of the outer Planets for the first time. Fantastic.

10 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

John following on from your Neptune post I also decided to view the Moons of Uranus last night. Same set up as the Neptune post with 12" Dob and TeleVue 8-24 zoom with Baader 2.25X barlow - max mag 434X

The sky was excellent last night and Uranus was nicely placed for observing. Studied the Planet for a while and could see two points of light either side of the Uranus. Checking the website that you gave I must have been viewing Titania and Oberon (again a first for me). I tried to see other points of light but I was not successful.

So in one night I have seen the Moons of the outer Planets for the first time. Fantastic.

Brilliant Mark - I'm so pleased you caught them :smiley:

There are a couple of other Urianian moons that should be visible as well, when they are placed favourably. More challenge for the future !

Archived