SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

need a camera, info on canon 600d please

Petehog72

Hi all, my camera became victim to a water leak so now in the market for a cheap camera to kick start my astrophotography.  I have been looking at the canon 600d, i like the idea of the view screen movement and how useful it would be when using the camera with the scope.  Is this particular camera half decent for astrophotgraphy?  budget is tight and really want to get going and start learning ready for the colder months and to get some good images, we have a celestron 8se which i know is not the best for astrophtography and i aint expecting magazine standard images but this is just for our enjoyment and to fill our walls with great images we capture.  Any advise will be greatly recieved.

You'll enjoy reading the 'No EQ DSO Challenge' thread. It's amazing what a camera and lens can also achieve.

600d is a nice camera and was what I was going to get but at the time I got a bargain with a 1100d. I use my android tablet to manage focus using app DSLR controller as no laptop here.

4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

The 1100d doesn't have the advantage of an articulated screen hence I use my tablet thought the app has a intervalometer built in which is very handy.

is it a standard usb cable you use to connect to the camera

A 8 inch sct is great fun for imaging..

What mount are you using?..also pick your targets carefully as some can be bigger than your fov.. a reducer/flattener is a great asset as imaging at f10 instead of 6.3 is beneficial..lots say you can't use a sct for imaging..i say it's good fun

17 hours ago, Petehog72 said:

ive just been looking at that thread, great info and the images are just what im looking for, i shall be spending some time looking through it, im curious about that app and using it with the DSLR i need to look at that 

Hi,

Thanks for posting. I can recommend using Deep Sky Stacker (free) and StarTools (free to trial) software with the Canon 600D.  I also use BYEOS to control imaging but you can get away with a remote, an intervalometer and even apps to control using an android device with an OTG cable. Happy-kat has already signposted the way to the 'No EQ Challenge' thread where a lot of Alt-Az advice can be found. A lot of the fun and learning comes from experimenting. One last thing you might want to buy a copy of Joseph Ashley's, 'Astro-photography on the Go-Using Short Exposures With Light Mounts' avaliable from our sponsors, it is a valuable read on the subject.

The Canon 600D is a decent camera and the tilt and swivel Live View screen makes framing objects easier. Enjoy imaging whether you use a telescope or lenses with your camera.

Cheers,
Steve

I used my 600D as my first astrophotography camera.  As you say the flip out screen is worth its weight in gold.  I just used the free bundled Canon EOS software on my Macbook to control mine.  It is more than capable of running a camera for AP work.  Pictures are on my flickr link if you want to see some from my 600D.  My personal opinion is that you need a faster scope but you can get started with the 8SE.  I used mine with my 9.25" SCT only because that's all I had but even the 0.63 flattener/reducer couldn't cope with the size of the sensor so serious vignetting occurred.

On 20/09/2017 at 08:51, Owmuchonomy said:

I used my 600D as my first astrophotography camera.  As you say the flip out screen is worth its weight in gold.  I just used the free bundled Canon EOS software on my Macbook to control mine.  It is more than capable of running a camera for AP work.  Pictures are on my flickr link if you want to see some from my 600D.  My personal opinion is that you need a faster scope but you can get started with the 8SE.  I used mine with my 9.25" SCT only because that's all I had but even the 0.63 flattener/reducer couldn't cope with the size of the sensor so serious vignetting occurred.

hey chris, just looking through your images on Flikr, awesome stuff mate, i would be seriously happy with any half as good as them

Archived