Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Charterhouse Observatory

Just throwing this idea into discussion for SGL 2018 party location. Charterhouse Observatory www.starsoversomerset.com .

As a party we could ask to use their 18 inch Newtonian, as well as bringing our own scopes and eps etc. Dark sky site though their web page needs updating.

I just looked at their website and it appears that the large Newt had major problems in 2015. Was this all sorted? Looking at the location I can see a car park but no real set up for dealing with caravans, tents and electric hooks ups. What did you have in mind - was it a smallish group for possibly just one night?

Here is the website for the SGL star party so that you can see what is involved and what facilities are needed:

http://sglsp.com/

Bristol Astro Society run much smaller open evening type star parties at places such as Dyrham Park (National Trust) and our observatory site at Failand near Bristol. These are much smaller single evening events where usually 6-10 scopes are set up for around 30-50 attendees.

3 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Thank you John, a smaller meeting might be better at such a venue then. Hopefully I will get a reply to my email on the current status quo of C.O.

Some of the Bristol AS members have been involved with the Charterhouse Observatory so I'll ask them what the current state of play is at our next meeting.

I have a feeling that progress has stalled somewhat since 2015 but I don't know for sure. I'll try and find out.

My 12" dob is an Orion Optics one with Hilux coatings that are 7 years old and look pristine still.

We (Bristol AS) have an 18" newtonian at our observatory that will need re-coating in due course I reckon. It's one of these:

JMI_Telescopes_NGT18_NGT_18_Reflector_Telescope_1268748924000_676966.jpg

I believe Mark Woodland or Chris Starr would be your best bet for Charterhouse. Maybe see here http://www.exoplanetproject.co.uk/charterhouse-exoplanet-blog/what-are-we-looking-for or speak to Wells and Mendip Astronomers. The scope at Charterhouse is fully operational, as it had a lot of work done - but I cannot confirm how much it is used - although there was a messier marathon held there earlier in the year. It is a good dark site due to being in the mendips - think i did a SQL of 21 which was not too bad (pollution from Bristol airport to the North) - but good horizons especially if you to to Blackmoor reserve, which is 1 minute away. Personally I would love to get up there more, but you do need your own power i would suggest.

• 9 months later...

Archived