SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ian from Suffolk

Ian M

Hi all,

I have just got into astronomy in the last month, after the misses bought me a celestron astromaster 114eq newton scope (with 20mm and 10mm eyepiece and 2x barlow)  and stumbled across this great forum.

Just a quick hello and can anyone let us know the sort of things i will be able to see with this scope?

Ian

Stick to medium power objects = clusters Open and Globular, double stars, M42 when it crawls above the horizon at a sensible time.

Moon (it is always around (usually), planets are difficult as Saturn is disappearing, Jupiter arrives next year and just consider Mars as an interesting small red disk.

Messier objects: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Messier_objects

Another are the Caldwell Objects, terrible way to describe them but like the Messiers but different. Look up the history of the Caldwell objects and it makes a bit more sense.

Get Stellarium for the PC, scribble down say 5 or 6 things for whenever you go out. You do have to apply a bit of thought.

Isn't there a club with good facilities around Lowestoft?

http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

can anyone let us know the sort of things i will be able to see with this scope?

The Moon will look good, if you have not used a telescope before, and this scope can be used during the day,  using the erecting prism, however, I did not experience much, if any, Planetary details, and I had the slightly larger Powerseeker 127EQ system.

You will also have to learn how to set up and use the GEM (German Equatorial Mount) aligned to Polaris in order to track whatever your observing whilst operating the slo-mo controls!

For me the continual adjustments and re-aligning the controls, in order to maintain track of the target of interest, took too much time, more time fiddling than actually observing, so I  quickly opted for a larger, and quite simply, much easier telescope to use,  and the results speak for them selves.

Always difficult if something is gifted, but as your interest grows, and you want more, the upgrade could be sooner rather than later, but not all doom and gloom, enjoy what you have, until you think you have reached some limit, then go with a bigger aperture for visual  observations, but there are many telescopes on offer, under three categories, so plenty to learn. Enjoy the process!!

A big welcome to the SGL.

Hello Ian and welcome to SGL from Lowestoft.  Enjoy your new telescope. The moon is a good starting point. Often overlooked because it's near by, big and bright but there is much of interest to locate and see. The same features can look very different when illuminated by the sun at different angles - so the observable  face of the moon is an ever changing subject for study.  Enjoy !

Best regards George

Welcome from land down under

Been a committee member of club belong to for over 10 years, and enjoying it

Club does presentations for schools and space badge level 1&2 for scouts/guides

Coming up on 28th October is International Observe the Moon Night, and club is doing a fund raising night for local Lions Club

http://sas.org.au/

Cheers

John

On 19/09/2017 at 11:47, Ian M said:

Hi all,

I have just got into astronomy in the last month, after the misses bought me a celestron astromaster 114eq newton scope (with 20mm and 10mm eyepiece and 2x barlow)  and stumbled across this great forum.

Just a quick hello and can anyone let us know the sort of things i will be able to see with this scope?

Ian

Welcome to SGL Ian, I am new here as well. ;)

Archived