Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro related retirement present.

sheeprug

Hi All, I'm retiring in a week or two - or perhaps more realistically, semi-retiring.   It appears my rather excellent soon-to-be ex-colleagues are having a collection on my behalf and want to buy me something.  Which is very nice indeed, but they'd like some suggestions as to what.  So, with a potential budget in the region of £100 -£150, does anybody have any suggestions?

SR

5 hours ago, daz said:

How about a nice set of bino's - 10x50s or 15x70s, something in that region?

Mine was a pair of Strathspey Marine 7x50 bins my employer partially funded. They are highest score recommended by Sky at Night magazine. Excellent clarity, sharp to the edge and have good eye relief. 

Bins is a very good idea for s retirement present

i am taking early retirement at the end of the year the company I work for use a points system with a another company that do presents for retirement and long service awards but don't think they astronomy and photography gifts.

when I did my 25 years service they gave me a cheque for £250

I don't think I will get anything from my work mates has I am taking early retirement ?

When i read the title, i assumed it would be a retirement gift to yourself so i was going to suggest a villa in Portugal. Movo globes are soooo cool (i have to get me one of those), but a nice pair of 10x50 bins would be great. Not only good for astronomy, but also for bird watching and general every day usage.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.  I like the bins idea.  I already have some Pentax 10x50s, which are rather excellent, but something a little larger such as 15x70 or even 20x80 would be a fine addition.   The villa in Portugal is, of course, an even better idea!     

I do also have slightly larger plans to have a go at imaging, so as a present to myself I'll soon be on the lookout for a good deal for an appropriate rig. (Feel free to PM me with any sensible deal proposals!). 

Buy as kerry says, the best present is likely to be time.

Best,

SR 

When I semi-retired I made use of the gift of time and built an Obsy.  I find as indicated above that Solar observing is a good option. You can keep coming back to a changing disk during the day.  I invested in a good camera to image the Sun (ZWO ASI 174). Most of all enjoy the time.

I expect you have 'stuff that does the job' much like I've accumulated, but how about a new outdoors table for your bits and pieces, new comfy observing chair (or maybe with a 14" Dob a new step ladder), new thermos for hot drinks, new hip flask (for cold ones!), mini Fridge (for cold beer on warm nights), i.e. stuff for the observing environment rather than observing itself?

Archived